Any Founder's Porter clone recipes or info?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychobrawler

Reaction score
I just had my first Founder's Porter, and I've got to say it's absolutely the best porter I've ever set my lips to. Absolutely phenomenal with a great roasty, coffee taste that feels full and creamy and finishes dry. I'd love to try and brew this. Anyone have a clone recipe or done something close?

Forgot I even posted this. I made a great clone, thanks to a an awesome response from Founder's when I e-mailed them for help. Here's my recipe for 5 gallons finished beer:

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
10 oz Carapils
6 oz Crystal 120 L
4 oz Black Patent

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
75 Minute Boil

Hops:
60 min - 0.75 oz Nugget (12.2%)
20 min - 0.75 oz Hallertau (4.5%) and 0.75 Willamette (4.9%)
Flameout - 0.25 oz Hallertau and 0.25 oz Willamette

For yeast, I used WLP001.

I intentionally made a final beer was a bit drier and thinner than Founder's, but the aroma and flavor were dead on. It was one of my best beers. I will definitely make it again, but I think I'll switch the base malt for Marris Otter next time and mash a couple of degrees higher. The also use Crystal hops, not Hallertau, but that was a substitution by necessity that turned out just fine. The hop flavor is not that predominant with all the malt flavors taking over.

Enjoy!

I used 70% efficiency for my calculations. Just swap the 2 row for 6.7 lbs of light DME, the munich for 0.7 lbs munich DME, and steep the remaining malts.

I did this again recently using Marris Otter and English ale yeast, and it's fantastic. Considering some competition entry with this brew.

I'm glad to see there are at least a few others brewing this. I can't believe how little info there is on the net for this awesome and widely available of a beer. Anyway, I'm gonna be brewing it on Sunday with this recipe, http://hopville.com/recipe/161099/robust-porter-recipes/founders-porter-clone but using the recommended Crystal hops rather than Hallertau.

BUUUUT I got standard dark chocolate malt (500*L) rather than the pale chocolate in the above recipe. To anyone who's brewed it, did you you use regular or pale chocolate malt? Also, what yeast? I'll be using Safale US-05

I also just found this recipe on the NB forums. http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86080&p=799639&hilit=founders+porter#p799328 Has anyone tried it?

Well that hopville link is also my recipe. ;) I love this beer. I've brewed it three times with slight variations on the theme. Standard chocolate malt is best, and closest to the Founder's recipe. I just subbed the Crystal out of necessity that first batch, and it wasn't a significant flavor impact. For yeast I think that WLP001 Cal Ale gets closest to a clone, but I really like the WLP002 English ale character with it too.

I can tell you that I also e-mailed the brewer, and I actually took my percentages from his response. The exact malts weren't specified to the color or supplier, but he gave me a lot to work with.

Let me know how it turns out. This one is in my regular home rotation now.

Is it possible for you to post the email founders sent you about the porter recipe?

Found it:

We use a large percentage of specialty grains in this one… try about 10% Chocolate Malt, 7% Munich, 5% Carapils, and 3% Crystal Dark. I also throw in a little bit of Black Malt for a slightly burnt character. Mash in around 155 degrees and target an OG between 17 and 18 Plato. We use Nugget hops for bittering and Willamette and Crystal for flavor/finishing hops, targeting 45 IBUs. Ferment with an American yeast and it should terminate between 5 and 6 Plato, leaving you with 6.5% ABV and a full bodied robust Porter. Good luck, hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jeremy Kosmicki
Head Brewer
FBC

dang thats a really helpful email! I wonder how forthcoming they are with other recipes...

Well they have a detailed KBS recipe in Zymurgy, so they seem pretty open. I'd love to get a Dirty Bastard and Red's Rye P.A. recipe, but really didn't want to be that guy e-mailing them constantly and asking for more. I was very happy with this one.

They are hands down one of my favorite breweries. There aren't many out there that have as many different beers that I really love. Dirty Bastard, Red's Rye, the porter, Breakfast stout, KBS, even Cerise - their cherry ale (and I don't really like fruit beers.) They just do a great job across the board.

mashing at 155 doesn't make it too sweet? I guess I'm just worried cause this will only be my 3rd AG batch and the first two I mashed at 149 & 150

hmm I've been looking for a good Red's Rye clone too for awhile. Maybe I'll email them next week

It's not so much sweet as heavier. Their porter is a pretty full bodied beer. I lowered it the first time out of the same concern and got a thinner and drier beer. It was still good, but lacked some of the creaminess and heft the Founder's beer has. I raised it to 155 on my second batch and it's definitely much closer, and a better beer.

Thinking of doing a porter soon. I want a nice smooth dark beer for X-mas time. I was kind of leaning towards a barleywine, but don't want to wait a year to drink it at the moment, and I think porters seem to be a similar character, except the barleywine (only one I've had was Founder's Nemesis) seems to be a little smoother and slightly less roasted. I might have to try this recipe, as I've had Founder's Porter, and its definitely a great beer, even though it looks like motor oil, I didn't find it TOO thick or chewy, even though I like to chew on my beer from time to time :cross: Any suggestions to making it "smoother" like a barleywine, or do you say to go for this exactly as-is?

Thinking of doing a porter soon. I want a nice smooth dark beer for X-mas time. I was kind of leaning towards a barleywine, but don't want to wait a year to drink it at the moment, and I think porters seem to be a similar character, except the barleywine (only one I've had was Founder's Nemesis) seems to be a little smoother and slightly less roasted. I might have to try this recipe, as I've had Founder's Porter, and its definitely a great beer, even though it looks like motor oil, I didn't find it TOO thick or chewy, even though I like to chew on my beer from time to time :cross: Any suggestions to making it "smoother" like a barleywine, or do you say to go for this exactly as-is?

Well first of all, Nemesis is far from your typical barleywine. Which year of Nemesis did you have, and when? I don't think I've ever heard this year's Nemesis described as smooth, and last year's was apparently very hot fresh but has mellowed out a lot, so I suspect you may have had '09 Nemesis fairly recently. Also, I don't find porters and barleywines all that similar. However, Founders Porter is very hoppy for a porter. So if the only porter you've had is Founders, and the only 'barleywine' you've had was Nemesis, I guess I could see where you might think they're similar. But again, neither are typical for their style.

Also, I think people's definition of "smoothness" in a beer varies greatly. What exactly do you mean by making it smoother? If you mean less hoppy, I'd go with a Fullers Porter clone. If you mean less chewy, lighter bodied, or drier, you could mash at a lower temp (but see psychobrawler's comment on that above) or use less carapils, or both. Personally, I love Founders Porter the way it is, so I made it exactly as per the above recipe. To each his own though, of course.

btw, I see that you're in StL. Are you on stlhops.com?

This looks good.. too bad I didn't make one before winter set in.

Too late for that

WHAT?? It's not even November yet. :drunk: I know Chicago is a little colder than StL, but still...you could make it this weekend and be drinking it by Thanksgiving if you keg, and definitely before Christmas if you bottle

I don't keg and Im going to be gone the next couple weekends.

So that means Id brew 2nd weekend of november.. Primary for 3 weeks, Secondary 2 weeks, bottle for 3 weeks. Thats middle of January.

Any time I have done a dark beer, I've let it go in the primary for 3 weeks then secondary for 2 to clear it.

pshh, 2 vessel fermentation is SO 2008. 3-4 weeks in the primary is what all the experts (i.e. Jamil Zainasheff, John Palmer, Mike McDole, all the people on here with over 20000 posts) recommend nowadays anyway. Plus, isn't there plenty of winter left after mid-january? If not, you could certainly send any excess beer to me and I will dispose of it properly :D

Well first of all, Nemesis is far from your typical barleywine. Which year of Nemesis did you have, and when? I don't think I've ever heard this year's Nemesis described as smooth, and last year's was apparently very hot fresh but has mellowed out a lot, so I suspect you may have had '09 Nemesis fairly recently. Also, I don't find porters and barleywines all that similar. However, Founders Porter is very hoppy for a porter. So if the only porter you've had is Founders, and the only 'barleywine' you've had was Nemesis, I guess I could see where you might think they're similar. But again, neither are typical for their style.

Also, I think people's definition of "smoothness" in a beer varies greatly. What exactly do you mean by making it smoother? If you mean less hoppy, I'd go with a Fullers Porter clone. If you mean less chewy, lighter bodied, or drier, you could mash at a lower temp (but see psychobrawler's comment on that above) or use less carapils, or both. Personally, I love Founders Porter the way it is, so I made it exactly as per the above recipe. To each his own though, of course.

btw, I see that you're in StL. Are you on stlhops.com?

I have 2010 Nemesis actually. They just got it in, and only had 1 4-pack left. You're right, smoothness is definitely perceived differently depending on the person. I thought the Nemesis had a nice rich porter/wee heavy taste but it wasn't really chewy. It was a little lighter bodied(even though it was dark and somewhat heavy) but seemed more drinkable than a stout or really roasty porter. I'm NOT looking for creamy/milky smooth, like in a milk stout, just a smooth lighter body beer with a big flavor.

I'm more of a Pale Ale/IPA/Brown drinker, so I've just recently been getting into the porter/stout/barleywines. I really like the dark, but drinkable style, and I think thats why I'm leaning more on a barleywine/porter.

:off:
I'm not "on" STLhops.com, but I have checked it out before. I saw a guy STLbrew on here, that was informing me of some clubs around here. Whats up with STLhops? I'd love to meet some people in the area, that are in the hobby. I've got a few brew buddies that had never brewed until with me, but it would be nice to share some experiences, methods & ideas with others in the area, who DO brew.

Thanks for the reply! I might just have to try this recipe for now. If anyone has any other suggestions to help me round out/tweak a similar recipe, let me know :mug:

Forgot I even posted this. I made a great clone, thanks to a an awesome response from Founder's when I e-mailed them for help. Here's my recipe for 5 gallons finished beer:

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Munich
10 oz Carapils
6 oz Crystal 120 L
4 oz Black Patent

Mashed at 155 for 60 minutes
75 Minute Boil

Hops:
60 min - 0.75 oz Nugget (12.2%)
20 min - 0.75 oz Hallertau (4.5%) and 0.75 Willamette (4.9%)
Flameout - 0.25 oz Hallertau and 0.25 oz Willamette

For yeast, I used WLP001.

I intentionally made a final beer was a bit drier and thinner than Founder's, but the aroma and flavor were dead on. It was one of my best beers. I will definitely make it again, but I think I'll switch the base malt for Marris Otter next time and mash a couple of degrees higher. The also use Crystal hops, not Hallertau, but that was a substitution by necessity that turned out just fine. The hop flavor is not that predominant with all the malt flavors taking over.

Enjoy!

WLP001 in an English porter, never would have thunk that

I just brewed this since I LOVE LOVE LOVE Founder's Porter. I actually had to make the same sub of Hallertau for Crystal, but I'm not to worried about it. Can't wait to have this in my glass!

Which version of the recipe did you end up using? I've done a couple of slight variations of this now, and all have been fantastic. It's become one of my regulars.

Your hopville recipe but with regular [i.e. dark] chocolate malt and Crystal instead of Hallertau hops

so for those keeping track, that's

73% 9lb 8oz American Two-row Pale
10% 1lb 4oz American Chocolate
8% 1lb 0oz Munich Malt
5% 0lb 10oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
3% 0lb 6oz Crystal 120L
2% 0lb 4oz Black (Patent) Malt

60 mins 0.75 Nugget 12.2%
20 mins 0.75 Crystal 4.3%
20 mins 0.75 Willamette 4.5%
1 min 0.25 Crystal 4.3%
1 min 0.25 Willamette 4.5%

For yeast I used 1 pkt of rehydrated Safale US-05

I've done it a few times now, and never did a side-by-side. Never really cared if it was exact, cause it's always been damn good regardless.

I made this recipe and now it is ready to keg. I have everything I need but I have never kegged before. What psi do I start with and what psi should I serve at? Any tips and details would be welcome. I hope to have it in the keg tonight.

It tastes fantastic!! I will make this again! Next time though I would like more body to it.

Hate to be "that guy", but has anybody looked at an extract version of this?

I just brewed this yesterday using extracts. Had to make the hallertau sub like most have here. Not sure how it will turn out but hopville says its probably way to dark. I sort of worked with the local homebrew shop guy to make this. I'm also thinking about throwing coffee in after primary to get a little extra coffee flavor.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1221740/american-stout-recipes/founders-porter-black-clone

Your hopville recipe but with regular [i.e. dark] chocolate malt and Crystal instead of Hallertau hops

so for those keeping track, that's

73% 9lb 8oz American Two-row Pale
10% 1lb 4oz American Chocolate
8% 1lb 0oz Munich Malt
5% 0lb 10oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
3% 0lb 6oz Crystal 120L
2% 0lb 4oz Black (Patent) Malt

60 mins 0.75 Nugget 12.2%
20 mins 0.75 Crystal 4.3%
20 mins 0.75 Willamette 4.5%
1 min 0.25 Crystal 4.3%
1 min 0.25 Willamette 4.5%

For yeast I used 1 pkt of rehydrated Safale US-05

I'm going to give this recipe a try! I am planning on doing a 10 gallon batch though, splitting it, then bourbon barrel aging 1/2 of it.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Drinking the finished product now. I made 12 gallons total. I have 7 gallons in secondary now. 1 gallon aging on cocoa nibs, another on cocoa nibs and about a TB of a used roselaire yeast cake, 1 gallon sitting on whiskey barrel chips and bourbon, another on whiskey barrel chips, bourbon, and a TB of roselaire yeast cake, another gallon on vanilla and a last gallon on oak. The last gallon in secondary will be a control/used to blend out and of the other batches if they get too strong.

I really like this beer (kegged and force carbed the other 5 gallons), however I wish I used Cal Ale yeast instead of the SAF US 05... I let the carboys warm up to about 72 degrees for the last week in order to free up space in my fermenting chamber and when I racked the beer off the cake there was a TON of sulfur smell to the cake. Every time I have one of the plain beers now, I keep thinking I smell a bit of sulphur still... It may just be me. No one else who has had the beer, can smell the sulphur, so I'm thinking it must be me.

When I make this again though it will definitely be with 001 instead of the US 05....

I've seen this recipe listed with Maris Otter instead of Pale 2-Row. For those who have brewed it, which base malt do you think comes closer to the original Founder's brew?

disney7 said:
I've seen this recipe listed with Maris Otter instead of Pale 2-Row. For those who have brewed it, which base malt do you think comes closer to the original Founder's brew?

I brewed the AHS kit (excellent and slightly different than the above recipes). It used MO as the base malt.

Back