Poll - 5L Mini Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is kegging in 5L mini kegs the way to go?

• Absa-frickin-lutely. Problems are dinky and benefits are huge compared to other options.

• Yup. There are problems with the mini kegs, but on balance they're better.

• Neither better nor worse than other options for bottling or kegging.

• Nope. I guess some people might like them, but on balance I prefer other options.

• God no. These things suck, people who use them suck, and you risk sucking just by bringing it up.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Diomed

Reaction score
What's your experience with the Philtap or other mini-keg systems for kegging your homebrew? (if you use another system, what is it?)

How did you manage to solve problems with your mini-keg system?

We had a thread on this topic a few years ago, but it's time we updated it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/philtap-mini-keg-system-630/

I'm contemplating doing this...seems like it can address my dislike of bottling and space issues. But I want them to generally work.

Pressure problems, they're a pain to clean, and the tap system I had kept breaking.

They are good if you are in a college dorm I guess. You know when your mini-fridge is you only fridge. I never used them. Never seemed like a good idea.

My LHBS is Listermann.com . They also make the "Phil" products. As far as I know everyone that works there uses cornies.

They are good if you are in a college dorm I guess. You know when your mini-fridge is you only fridge.

I live in a NYC studio; a bit nicer than a dorm, but I've still got space issues and just the one fridge. That's why I was thinking the mini kegs were a good idea...

I live in a NYC studio; a bit nicer than a dorm, but I've still got space issues and just the one fridge. That's why I was thinking the mini kegs were a good idea...

I have the same issue, but I'm going with the Tap-a-draft. Most of the issues I've heard with them seem to have been addressed in the new version.

Back