Time for Spiced Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
A little late..... but I plan to brew this tommorrow..it will be lighter on the spices and ABV so 3 months should be ready to drink for sure..

thoughts? This will be my first spiced ale and I have looked at lots of recipes and want to stay on the lighter side of spice but keep it complex as well..

10 # 2 row
1# C 120
8 oz C 60
1 # Munich
8 oz Wheat(head retention)
Mash 154

1 oz EKG 60 min
1 oz hallertauer 20 min

5 min boil spices:
fresh sweet orange peel(.5oz)
Cardomon seed (.25 tsp)
Clove (.25 tsp)
fresh ginger(.25 tsp)
2 cinamon sticks

S-04 yeast..ferment @70
OG 1.06
FG 1.016
IBU21 SRM 20

Playing with spices and will taste at secondary and add more if needed...

Jay

I'm thinking that is going to end very malty, which you will have to balance out with spices. The small amounts of AA and using S-04 which is low attenuating could leave a pretty sweet drink if you don't know what you are doing with the the spice.

I'm thinking that is going to end very malty, which you will have to balance out with spices. The small amounts of AA and using S-04 which is low attenuating could leave a pretty sweet drink if you don't know what you are doing with the the spice.

I want it to be on the sweeter side..I also want balance with the spices..but it is much easier to add more than if it is too much...I like to add .25tsp and than double in secondary if needed.. the 1.5 # of crystal will achieve the sweeter side but the IBU is still at 20 so not too sweet.

Jay

I'm not a C-120 fan so I'd probably drop that down to .5 Lbs instead of 1.0lbs. Other than that... Looks pretty good. Not a spice expert myself, tho. Just did my first spiced beer last weekend. Possibly only 1 cinnamon stick, not 2? I've heard they can overpower really easily. But maybe that was Vanilla Beans I'm thinking of.

I'm not a C-120 fan so I'd probably drop that down to .5 Lbs instead of 1.0lbs. Other than that... Looks pretty good. Not a spice expert myself, tho. Just did my first spiced beer last weekend. Possibly only 1 cinnamon stick, not 2? I've heard they can overpower really easily. But maybe that was Vanilla Beans I'm thinking of.

I have seen anywhere from 1 to 4 sticks..I think 2 should be fine..As for the Crystal Malt I was looking for a big and strong carmel note to mix with the spices..I do not expect it to be too sweet, I have seen many recipes use 2 # or more crystal...If it seems a bit sweet I could always mix another spice tea in the secondary..I have not used cardamon..but Anchor uses it and there x mas ale is great..

Jay

In that case, I definitely WOULD go for more C-60, less C-120.

(From Palmer's How To Brew)
Caramel 10 10 L This malt adds a light honey-like sweetness and some body to the finished beer.
Caramel 40 40 L The additional color and light caramel sweetness of this malt is perfect for pale ales and amber lagers.
Caramel 60 60 L This is the most commonly used caramel malt, also known as medium crystal. It is well suited for pale ales, English style bitters, porters and stouts. It adds a full caramel taste and body to the beer.
Caramel 80 80 L This malt is used for making reddish colored beers and gives a lightly bittersweet caramel flavor.
Caramel 120 120 L This malt adds a lot of color and bittersweet caramel flavor. Useful in small amounts to add complexity or in greater amounts for old ales, barleywines and doppelbocks.

Briess' web site calls C-120 " Pronounced Caramel, Burnt Sugar, Raisiny, Prunes"

To really get a strong pure-caramel note, you will probably want a blend of C-40, C-60, and either C-80 or C-120. I think a pound of C-120 will be overkill though.

In that case, I definitely WOULD go for more C-60, less C-120.

Briess' web site calls C-120 " Pronounced Caramel, Burnt Sugar, Raisiny, Prunes"

To really get a strong pure-caramel note, you will probably want a blend of C-40, C-60, and either C-80 or C-120. I think a pound of C-120 will be overkill though.

I have not noticed burnt flavor..just more pronounced strong carmel flavor...I think im gonna go with what I have..if it sweet city than I will add more spice..but I think this should work fine...

Jay

Back