New at Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clayton79

Reaction score
I need to know how to make mead..my girlfriend is going to try making mead for the first time, I have never made it and am not sure of the process.
(I KNOW to sanatize everything, I make beer, but have never done mead).
We have 15 gallons of honey and a "mead" kit from the local brewery.
What I need to know:
How long to ferment?
How long in secondary (and do I need to transfer between secondary's later on)?
We are making 5gals, What bottles would anyone recomend? (I was thinking 16oz Flip tops)
Does mead need to be carbonated? And HOW to carbonate?

ANY and ALL help would be appreciated, I have never done a mead and my girlfirend is really looking forward to having her own mead (She LOVES the taste of mead).
I really don't want to mess this batch up!! (and I know allready...Don't Worry..have a Homebrew!) :)

THANKS!!
Clayton

------------------
Secondary: IPA
Kegged: Amber Ale
Sitting on the shelf waiting to be made: Wheat Beer, Pale ale, Blonde and another Hefe.

Man, 15 gallons! That's enough honey for 15-25 batches of mead (depending on style and strength).

Do you have a copy of Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing? It's in the 3rd edition also.

If you like ginger I HIGHLY recommend the Barkshack Ginger Mead. I have a batch going right now.

Mead is easy to make, it just takes a long time in the secondary. You can make some now and it'll be "drinkable" as soon as you place it in the secondary, but it'll be great 6 months to a year later.

I have a bottle that's 13 years old.:D

Just follow the recipe in the book and you can't go wrong.:D

Latest posts

Back