Does this look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craft_beer_fan

Reaction score
Hello home brewers! I have a question for you more experienced brewers out there. I have brewed my fourth batch ever and the last beer I brewed was a partial mash clone of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. My OG and FG were right on after 1 week in the primary fermenter (fermented in a food grade plastic bucket with airlock). I racked into the carboy as shown in the pictures. You will notice I am dry hopping with hops in the secondary. About 1 week after racking, I noticed what is shown in the picture on top of the beer and I'm not sure what it is. My first three brews never had this Krausen/mold like substance on the top so I am wondering if this is normal (I wouldn't think it would be Krausen since active fermentation has been complete for about 2 weeks)? I am going to bottle it in three days (will be 2 weeks in the secondary) so at that time I can take a sample taste but just wondering if any of you have seen this before? I'm concerned that my beer may be infected; I was really careful when I brewed and racked making sure everything was sanitized. I guess the final conclusion will rest with how the beer tastes but just wondered if this looks normal to any of you out there. I should add that this was the first time I ever added Irish Moss while brewing and wondered if this is the result of using Irish Moss?

Thanks in advance and cheers! :)

IMG_9771.jpg

IMG_9773.jpg

Others will chime in and say that is perfectly normal, but that doesn't look right. I have never had an infected batch so don't listen to me. Irish moss is boiled with 15-10min left in boil so it really has nothing to do with that.

/subscribed :)

justin

After looking at that again, it looks like really thick yeast rafts that are finally breaking up. Take a hydro sample and then taste it. I bet it tastes good.

justin

It looks like yeast that was on the floor of the carboy that somehow made its way up.Its pretty thick.Maybe it does have something to do with the irish moss. Ive never used it.Doesnt look like an infection,probably just yeast.

After looking at that again, it looks like really thick yeast rafts that are finally breaking up. Take a hydro sample and then taste it. I bet it tastes good.

justin

Thank you for the reply. I haven't tried it yet and will probably wait until bottling (in 3 days). It smells really good (I can smell it if I push on the Better Bottle Carboy while holding my nose over the airlock). :) I'm hoping it turns out well. I did add the Irish Moss with 15 minutes left in the boil when I brewed. I will let you know how it turns out (fingers crossed).

Cheers!

It looks like yeast that was on the floor of the carboy that somehow made its way up.Its pretty thick.Maybe it does have something to do with the irish moss. Doesnt look like an infection,probably just yeast.

Thanks for the reply! I can't wait to taste it in 3 days when bottling. Sure, it will be flat, but I'm hopeful it will be great flat beer at that time! :)

It does look like the yeast trub usually at the bottom. I wouldn't be surprised if it sinks over the next couple days.

Back