Mash Paddle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundersBrew

Reaction score
Anyone ever make their own mash paddles? I am thinking about doing this but am unsure of the best woods, oils etc...

I made my own out of Walnut. Will post a pic later. Just make sure its a hard wood. My first one was out of Pine just to see how it would come out.

Heres some pics of the one I made. Its about 22 Inches long and works great for my Mash Tun

DSCN2945.jpg

DSCN2946.jpg

DSCN2947.jpg

DSCN2948.jpg

I made mine out of a nice piece of 3/4" Ash. I used a scroll saw for the details and a router to finish the edges. I intend to go back and etch in the hop bines and grain stalks:

1665-finished-product-after-routing-edges-scroll-saw-details-sanding-whole-thing-down-bit.jpg

Just finished this
dsc00540io.jpg

yesterday. I used two 1" oak dowel rods, and a 1/2" dowel rod. The sides are 8 inches long, the center 3 feet. The 4 rods connected the sides to the center are 4", 4 1/4", 4 1/2" and 4 3/4" inches in length. They are spaced 1 inch apart. The total cost was around $11 for the wood from Home Depot. I didn't use glue since they are a very tight fit, and wood expands when wet, making it even studier when in use.

Just finished this
dsc00540io.jpg

yesterday. I used two 1" oak dowel rods, and a 1/2" dowel rod. The sides are 8 inches long, the center 3 feet. The 4 rods connected the sides to the center are 4", 4 1/4", 4 1/2" and 4 3/4" inches in length. They are spaced 1 inch apart. The total cost was around $11 for the wood from Home Depot. I didn't use glue since they are a very tight fit, and wood expands when wet, making it even studier when in use.

Nice work! There is good reason why traditional mash rakes were designed this way. You might consider using some small wooden pins to hold it together. Only if it needs it later on, of course. I'm thinking it may loosen up with some use. That's how my store bought version was constructed and it's been holding up very well for a long time. No nails, screws or glue used at all as far as I can tell.

I have one sketched out, I am going to be using a piece of AA curly maple that I have had sitting around for ages, I just keep putting it off in anticipation of winning one in a contest! :D

I made mine out of a nice piece of 3/4" Ash. I used a scroll saw for the details and a router to finish the edges. I intend to go back and etch in the hop bines and grain stalks:

1665-finished-product-after-routing-edges-scroll-saw-details-sanding-whole-thing-down-bit.jpg

Thts a beutiful mash paddle, very nice work. I need a scroll saw :)

You don't want to know how long it took me, even with proper equipment. I would definitely simplify the pattern and make the "holes" larger.

I can immagine, disconnecting and reconnecting your scroll saw blade 41 times would be a pain in the a$$. (yah I actually counted the holes) I took a much more simple approach :mug:

I didn't have the heart to count but it was actually more than that since some positions were not very maneuverable due to the length of the paddle and the arm of the scroll saw getting in the way... But it is beautiful now!

I probably could have built a walk-in-cooler instead. :)

paddle4.jpg
Went with a simple design, I still have some sanding to do. I had a handle up top, but a dull roundover bit ate it.

I bought a 3 foot, red oak, 1x4 from HD for about $6. Cut out a paddle shape and burned 4 holes in it with a hole saw. I would post a pic but it is late and in the garage.

DO NOT OIL THE MASH PADDLE!!!!!

Oil destroys head.

Catt, can you explain the wood pins?

The wood pins are actually very small dowel pins. Holes were drilled through the intersection of the vertical and horizontal bars, then the small dowel pins were driven into the holes to secure the joint. The small dowel pins could be made from something like wooden shish kabob skewers or maybe even round wooden toothpicks. They don't need to be very large. The small pins are driven all the way through the junction. The protruding ends are trimmed off and sanded smooth. I will try to take a macro pic or two later today which should help explain how it was done.

So after seeing all these nice diy paddles, I decided to mod my store bought paddle and drilled some holes. It is a 36" long Bayou Classic paddle with diy holes;)
DSC_0215.jpg

167684_10150133392313313_576643312_7275605_2831164_n.jpg

Mine is nothing fancy, but I built it for $3 with materials from the local hobby store. I chose the square stock because it made drilling easier without a press. I would like to make something nicer out of solid wood in the future when I'm not on a shoe string budget!

Thanks! Materials were about $6.00 from Lowes. After I got used to using my new drill press (free from my brother-in-law), the total construction time was only 15 minutes!

I bought a $3 crawfish paddle from HD, and drilled some 3/4" holes in it, works great!

Not as fancy as your rakes, but very effective, nonetheless.

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

Back