My Logo completed / Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-man-do

Reaction score
So here it goes. Breeding Bull comes is the meaning of my last name (am I so lucky) On the label of the bottle will be the type of beer it is.

Anyway I drew up my logo below and would like to some how convert it to a file that does not look hand drawn. I have spent a lot of time in Photoshop and well my skills are not that good. Does anyone have any ideas.

breeding bull.jpg

illustrator would be the way to go turn it in to a vector image by tracing it manually. if you have access to one of the newer versions there is a trace function that will do it for you, which would help as it sounds like you dont have much experience with adobe products.

Bull Breader... well my first name means Lover of Horses... Ugggh I wouldn't want to see that label! :)

Yes illustrator would be the way to build this image. Simply open this file in Ill./paste it into Ill. onto the bottom layer. Then proceed building the various elements onto different layers. This will allow easier image manipulation.

Another suggestion is to put this hand-drawn image through Vector Magic. There's a free trial of like 3 uses. This will turn it into vector art which you can then manipulate in Ill. or even Pshop.

Hope that helps,
Phillip

i think the hand drawn look is fantastic, to be honest
<edit> where did you find a model photo of my abs for that drawing you made????!

Here's just a couple of renderings. I can add color or something if you tell me what colors you want. It'll make a sweet logo man.

3505679884_5261bfb380.jpg

3505679762_afd6814ec7.jpg

Thanks brokenanchor they look great. If you don't mind throwing some color on it that would be much appreciated. I was thinking the bottle a darker brown, the bull a lighter brown, and I am not sure about the actual label of the bottle or banners.

I dig it.

What is the B "3" (or squared) for? for on the bottle neck?

Vectormagic will bust that baby out real nice.

I like the feel of the labe, it reminds me of a homegrown brewery - it feels like it could be a brew pub in my neighborhood that all the peole go to who would never be caught drinking a BMC but at the same time don't drink obscure belgians JUST BECAUSE they are not BMC (I like Belgian beer, just not people who drink it as a status symbol) ANYWHO I digress:

It feels homegrown, not sure if that is bad, or good, or really matter at all.

part of the perspective could be worked on, but again I'm just an art nerd - the hand and the bottle are just floating there, and are not anchored to the Bull's Body, it may not seem like that big a deal but if you think about how the Bull's body is positioned, some of the arm on the side would be showing (mostly on the veiwers left side of the hand).

also I think it would be interesting if there was a picture within the picture. You have this extremly present beer bottle in the viewers attention, but what about what is on the bottle...there is nothing. Something that peev'es me is when people do that - no offence just a slight OCD. but if your putting a bottle in the viewers face, why not make it worth it. Rahter than us trying to look at whats behind the bottle (the bull and words) why not put this label on the label on the bottle sort of like when you go to the store to try something on and the mirrors reflect each other and you have yourself with a picture of yourself within a picture of your self...that sort of thing, I think you could get away with just shrinking and copy pasting (and rotating to the correct angle of the bottle of course) and it would look so much more thought out (it would look like it has a purpose other than to block the viewers viewpoint) plus the bull should be drinking his own beer right?

I would clean up the lines and loose the hand-drawn look, unless your going to go overboard with the hand-drawn look which (even in commerical uses, is hit or miss - be aware of how it looks) People have posted on here some links to free software to take files and smooth them out...its out there (I use illustrator and just make it smooth in the first place, but I also have many years experience creating curved lines that don't look drawn)

Lastly this may be WAY out of reach, but have you thought of etching it in to the bottles. I saw on the BYO label contest months ago (saw it on the website) a label that was etched into the bottle - it wasn't a label but rather a photo and some text...not sure how to do it, but I do know it can be done - I doubt sandblasting would work, but I'm not the one to tell you how to do that ask around there are people out there that have much more experience in that sort of stuff than me. If you do this, I would stick to a lighter color maybe etch it in and then wipe ink into the grooves and buff the surface like an old etching plate but how to etch the glass I do not know. and then just do outlines I think that would look stellar.

I hope I didn't offend you, I'm just a artist/designer by trade and you asked for my thoughts so I shared...just my .02

cheers :tank:

Yes kman that's an A- for you...I'd get an F. I honestly like the fact that the hand isn't attached to the body it gives it more of an "in your face feel". I do really like the idea of the mirrored label idea. The only problem with this is that it'll be a little hard to see what it is when it's label sized. Chemical etching would be cool, but it has a pretty expensive start up from what I've heard. All that said I'll work on adding some color to it tonight. Do you have a background color preference?

If you can find someone to draw this out for you in a vector program, it will be a lot more versatile. I'd volunteer, but my pen tool skills are lacking at best.

I'm in the prepress department at a label printer. We get a ton of labels in with crappy rasterized logos that are hard to work with. Once its vector, you can resize, add, take away an recolor with no problems.

Yeah the way I'm doing it isn't the best method, but I'm getting some alright results. I really don't want to take away from what you've created so I still need to do some shadowing. Here's what I've come up with so far (nowhere near done). Let me know if you want any of the colors changed.

3509205808_c4bb2c6523.jpg

What about a brighter background color? make some contrast (between the muted earhtone skin, brown bottle in the label - and I'm assuming brown bottle its going on.) like take the background color and just reduce the opacity of it (or add white which ever is easier, not sure you're doing this)

Also another thought...what about the bulls bottom half? I didn't see that before, but man is it weirding me out now...I might be a simple fix like moving the banner up and cutting the label off where his torso ends. - just a thought.

Thanks to all for the constructive remarks and no I don&#8217;t take affence to any of the comments, if I did I would not have subjected the drawing in the first place.

My long term goal is to have to look like it was created in a computer program, however my line drawing skills are less than poor, so I reverted back to hand drawing it as I know I will be able to get it half decent.

I really like the etched idea, I will have to look into that. As for the label on the bottle my original idea was to put the type of beer it actually was, ESB, IPA etc, you can somewhat see that in the original as I erased it. Once I get the file where I want it on the computer I was going to start messing with that as I feel confident I can do that in photoshop.

Brokenanchor:
I really don&#8217;t have any preferences on the colors of the background especially since I posted this I was trying to figure out how to make it not look hand drawn and I never thought about color. Thanks for taking the time to mess with this.

I really like the hand drawn look, I think it's good in plain old B&W, or maybe even a plain parchment background. I also like the idea of cleaning up those lines & giving it a more "cartoony" look, this would really set off any colors used & vice-versa; it would also enhance the "in your face" attitude displayed by the bull. Some bold text on the pic's bottle label would work nicely, but I also think that something that looked hand scrawled (in a matching art style) would work well. An idea for the pic's bottle label: finalize your overall label on paper, & snap a digital pic of it, paste it on the label's bottle label, you could do this into infinity, well 3 times maybe, but it would give the impression of infinity. Sort of a cartoon Escher with beer. Regards, GF.

Back