Does Foam Waste Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc279

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently modified a fridge to be a kegerator. For the past two kegs, I'm getting alot of foam. If I fill up a 1 L pitcher until the foam reaches the top, by the time it settles the pitcher is only 1/3 full of beer. While I need to do some more research of the forums to solve the problem my question is this foam wasted beer? As in, will the yield (in liquid beer) be any less if my beer pours foamy and I just let it settle? Or does the excessive foam actually decrease the yield somehow.

It seems like a stupid question, and I am guessing no, but just wanted to ask.

Thanks!

The answer is no. Your beer doesn't mysteriously disappear.

The bigger question is why you are getting so much foam. Can you describe the set up, pressure, etc.?

The laws of physics (conservation of mass) are still in effect!

Foamy pours are easy to eliminate once you understand what causes the foam. I'm going to second hercher, tell us about your setup please.

What temperature and pressure are you at, what type of keg, how long are your liquid lines, do you have a tower? etc.

Hi All, I thought as much about losing the beer, but wanted to confirm.

In terms of my set-up, I have a corny keg in a modified fridge. There is no tower, just a tap handle drilled through the door at a height slightly above the top of the keg. The beer line is 10 ft long. The temperature is around 5 C. I've tried all kinds of psis from 10-20 and keg the same result every time. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the info! Is your line 3/16" ID? 10 feet should be decent. I'll ask a couple more questions:

Do you notice bubbles forming in the line, before you pour? How fast is the beer coming out of the faucet? Is the beer "spitting" out of the faucet or flowing smoothly?

How are you carbonating the beer?

Yup it is 3/16" ID. No bubbles form in the line before I pour and it comes out fast. It does have some spitting, particularly in the beginning, but then flows pretty smoothly (just foamy). I'm force carbing the beer.

I mean how exactly are you carbonating, set and forget vs. burst carb, etc. I was wondering if the keg could be overcarbed, but if there are no bubbles forming in the line before you pour then that's probably not the issue.

Beer coming out of the line really quickly is generally a sign that your lines aren't long enough, but 10' should be good. So I'm a little puzzled.

I set it at 25 psi for two days then drop it down to 10-12. Part of the problem could be my regulator as it was not intended for beer use (it goes up to 250 psi, so i don't know how accurate it is at the low end of the scale). However, even when I purge all of the gas and set the regulator to just a few psi, i still get a foamy pour so I'm not quite sure what is going on.

Back