Still Bubbling After 12 Days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a True Brew Double IPA kit in the bucket right now. Mixed it up on New Year's Day. Bubbled like crazy for nearly a week, then slowed... But... It's sitting there, in my home office/bar, still bubbling audibly about once ever 5 minutes. I'm inclined to think this is good. But... seems kind of weird.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

Mark

Edit: By bubbling, I meant the airlock gets bubbles and makes that little bubbling noise (noticeably loud).

Hi Folks,

I have a True Brew Double IPA kit in the bucket right now. Mixed it up on New Year's Day. Bubbled like crazy for nearly a week, then slowed... But... It's sitting there, in my home office/bar, still bubbling audibly about once ever 5 minutes. I'm inclined to think this is good. But... seems kind of weird.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

Mark

Edit: By bubbling, I meant the airlock gets bubbles and makes that little bubbling noise (noticeably loud).

you are fine, a double IPA needs time, even after the bubbles stop leave it for another week or so.

Depending on the OG, let it go until it's been in primary for 3-4 weeks (4-5 if you can) and then take a SG reading. Taste the sample and then repeat 3-4 days later. If the SG is exactly the same both times, it's done fermenting. If there are no off flavors present, then you can bottle at any point. You can let it go until the following weekend, or when it works for you over the following week/weeks. I have zero fear when it comes to leaving my brews on the yeast cake for 8+ weeks. Most of mine are done in 4 weeks, depending on the OG and yeast used.

Also, the airlock is just a way for excess CO2 to be removed from the fermenter. It doesn't reflect anything else going on inside the vessel, other than gases needing to escape.

My double IPA is a beer I brew usually three times a month. It has an OG of 1.114, and an FG of 1.010. It gets 4 weeks in primary, the yeast gets harvested, three hop additions and an addition of oak later it gets 3 weeks to condition. The point of the story is big beers like a little time to mellow out.

My last one, the Northern Brewer Chinook IPA never did stop bubbling. It was in primary for a little over 3 weeks. It was even bubbling the caps as I was bottling. I tried one at 2 weeks and it tasted good. It was still a little flat and probably a little green still.

I worried a little about bottle bombs so I put them in a plastic box. No problems though.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I'll let it be for another week or two.

I've had beers reach FG & still bubbled occasinally. sometimes they'll off gas co2 that's coming out of solution. But with your higher gravity,it's likely not done yet.

I brewed a batch on the exact same day as you (Mash Extract Recipe using Muntons Yorkshire Bitter) and mine is still bubbling a tiny bit every 5 min too. Gravity has gone from 1015 to 1012 since Sunday so it's still working. I am fermenting it at a constant 16C. I am pretty sure it will be in there another week and a half.

I brewed a batch on the exact same day as you (Mash Extract Recipe using Muntons Yorkshire Bitter) and mine is still bubbling a tiny bit every 5 min too. Gravity has gone from 1015 to 1012 since Sunday so it's still working. I am fermenting it at a constant 16C. I am pretty sure it will be in there another week and a half.

Good on ya, mate! Even after primary fermentation is done, it's a good idea to be patient and let the yeast change your beer from "good-ish" green beer to delicious homebrew!

Back