2011 Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
So it's about time to get a bock going for the winter. Pitched the yeast starter from last year's harvested cake and last week's extra wort, so all I need is a recipe.

I've got more Vienna than I know what to do with, so yesterday I stopped by the LHBS and grabbed the other stuff.

Should be considerably maltier than last year's Bock (the first runnings of a Bock/Marzen partigyle experiment) and, hopefully, less overwhelmingly banana/clove-y as I've improved my temperature control techniques since then.

The decoction schedule isn't set in stone - I just happened to pick it in Beersmith.

Thoughts?
[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]

[size=+2]Recipe: 2011 Bock[/size]

Brewer: Derek Berner
Asst Brewer:
Style: Traditional Bock
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 19.6 SRM █████
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
10.00 lb      Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                     Grain        78.43 %       
2.00 lb       Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)              Grain        15.69 %       
0.50 lb       Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)                Grain        3.92 %        
0.25 lb       Pale Chocolate (195.0 SRM)                Grain        1.96 %        
0.20 oz       Nugget [13.00 %]  (60 min)                Hops         8.3 IBU       
1.00 oz       Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %]  (20 min)Hops         7.8 IBU       
1.00 oz       Brewer's Gold [8.00 %]  (10 min)          Hops         9.3 IBU       
1 Pkgs        German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833)    Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Triple, Lager
Total Grain Weight: 12.75 lb
Code:
Decoction Mash, Triple, Lager
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     

15 min        Dough-In           Add 11.48 qt of water at 70.0 F     70.0 F        
20 min        Acid Rest          Add 7.97 qt of water at 169.8 F     105.0 F       
10 min        Protein Rest       Decoct 3.88 qt of mash and boil it  122.0 F       
20 min        Dextrinization RestDecoct 8.96 qt of mash and boil it  155.0 F       
5 min         Mash Out           Decoct 6.43 qt of mash and boil it  170.0 F
Notes:

It's your beer but late hop additions are not usual for a bock and Brewer's Gold seems an odd choice of variety. If you are going to do a late hop with the beer I would use a German noble type.

Brewer's Gold and Nugget are both hybrids of noble varieties. Those are the kinds of choices I tend to make because I always want something a little different.

Plus I was standing there with the freezer door open in the LHBS, I needed to make a decision, and they were out of Mittelfruh.

Brewer's Gold and Nugget are both hybrids of noble varieties. Those are the kinds of choices I tend to make because I always want something a little different.

Plus I was standing there with the freezer door open in the LHBS, I needed to make a decision, and they were out of Mittelfruh.

Like I said, it's your beer, and you asked for thoughts so I gave you mine. I'm not sure where you got that information regarding Brewer's Gold and Nugget but I doubt its' veracity.

Re late hopped bocks, I have lately been enjoying Heller Bock Saphir at a local spot. It's brewed in Austria and does go against tradition in that it is dry hopped with Saphir. The hop aspect does work because the Saphir is a modern low-alpha derivative of Continental noble hops and the rich, malty body of the beer is not overshadowed. :mug:

Back