Is this setup sane/safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbaillargeon

Reaction score
Hi, I was brewing all grain for a while but I had an issue with the boil taking eons to come on my electric stove.

I ordered a 1800 watts heat stick for my rig, is it safe to use both the stove and the heat stick?

That would give me almost 4300 watts of heating power.

people have been using drop in heat sticks to boost stove top boils....nothing insane abotu iot. I dont know however if anyone permanently installed one in a kettle when combined with direct heating from below.

make sure you have a GFCI on the outlet you're plugging into the heat stick and that the circuit and wiring (including the cord you use for the heatstick) can handle 1800 watts @ 120v. other than that you're good to go.

i am in the process of adding a 1500W heating element to my HLT that i also heat with direct-fire propane.

make sure you have a GFCI on the outlet you're plugging into the heat stick and that the circuit and wiring (including the cord you use for the heatstick) can handle 1800 watts @ 120v. other than that you're good to go.

i am in the process of adding a 1500W heating element to my HLT that i also heat with direct-fire propane.

Let us know how that works out.

I'd be concerned about the propane over heating the cord and terminal block on the heating element.

ed, i'll be doing some testing on a "spare" keg i have, but the plan is to make the cord removable (like a Computer power supply or monitor) so that the cord is not on the vessel while using gas. I will use gas OR electric but probably not both @ once. so the main concern will be heat on the terminal block, but i will be fabricating a heat shield to hopefully combat that.

Back