Baltic porter yeast strain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petry121

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a Baltic porter this weekend; a version of Denny conn's vanilla bourbon porter. I was looking over my recipe and Reading about the different types of yeast to use with this beer and I found out that you can use a lager yeast or an ale yeast for this beer. My questions is this;

Which white labs yeast would work best? Ale or lager?

I would prefer a lager yeast. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I am able to ferment at lager temps. I can maintain all the way up to 62 degrees F. Any ideas?

I would use an ale for this. I enjoy the complexity it gives to porters, and produces a product quicker. If you do decide to lager you will end up with a cleaner crisp beer, like a schwarzbier.

If I were to use and ale yeast would I cold ferment? And if so at what temp would I cold ferment and what type of white labs yeast would you use?

Perfect. You have second what my LHBS said; white labs California lager yeast. I guess my question now would be; do I lager it or treat it like a cold ferment ale yeast since it is a hybrid? It is a hybrid right?

Yeah, its a hybrid. I typically ferment around 60-62, then when there's just a couple points left to go, bump it up to 68-70 for a d-rest. I think you'll like it. I really enjoy that yeast. I have a cali-common going now, that I plan to re-pitch into a pumpkin beer and then also an oktoberfest. I did a really nice cream ale with it too.

It does go a bit slow at 60 - don't expect a 3/4 day ferment like with a Cal Ale yeast. At least thats been my experience.

Back