Double Header

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portski7

Reaction score
Just pulled off a double header last Thursday. The week before finals and I figured I needed a beak from studying.

No pictures of me, but my "assistant brewer" and my buddy are in the shots.

First up, "Grosh Frumen" Kolsch. So named because my assistant brewer (who happens to be from germany) was having trouble pronouncing "George Foreman" while cooking up some bratwurst after a few beers. Add the two dots above the o and u in the name to get the right pronunciation.

Grosh Frumen
Koelsch

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/11/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Dempsey Smith
Boil Size: 6.75 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
2.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
0.50 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (60 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
0.50 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] (10 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.27 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 23.1 IBU Calories: 230 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.8 SRM

Here is a shot after the initail mash in. Using a 48qt Ice Cube cooler for a mash tun insulated with a turtle neck sweater that my grandma bought years ago but hasn't found a use until now. Pascal is there too with our loveable spoon.
1000183nu0.jpg

A shot of the other side of the "brewery" for a little perspective. I keep my sparge additions pre-measured in those jugs and coolers to make things a little easier.
1000184qz1.jpg

First run-off.
1000187kv1.jpg

Hop additions, 60min on left 10min on right. I usually use 100% spalt with my Kolsch, but I had some Mt. Hood left over and didn't want to buy an extra ounce of hops.
1000190ac5.jpg

Mashed in second batch, AHS Chocolate Raspberry Stout, when the first batch's sparge was finished. Propane tank hit the bucket while heating the sparge water for the second batch. Really was a good point for it to happen. Just covered the Kolsch up and went to the gas station.

30 minutes or so into the Kolsch boil.
1000192hv1.jpg

Other buddy shows up, and we put in the irish moss and IC for the kolsch while Pascal sparges the stout.
1000194rp1.jpg

First stout runnings
1000196xt2.jpg

Doug inspects the mess from pouring a boil kettle full of water over the balcony (3rd floor) while prepping for the stout boil.
1000199ue8.jpg

A little too much stout runoff...
1000201ce1.jpg

Also happens to be the last picture I could take. Before anything else eventful happened, my partners had to leave (was about midnight or 1 am), so pictures took a backseat to good brewing practices.

Was a fun experience overall... a little more stressing than I'd have liked, but oh well. Lots of beer to be ready for next semester!

looks awesome, hope you had fun, just one thing, boiling that pot in the last picture with 1 inch of head space in the pot must have sucked!

edit: hey post #100!

Latest posts

Back