2 days of Straight up Beeriness.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
...I'm a madman. Where to begin...

First, I'd been studying my poor ass off for my 2nd (of 9) Architectural Licensing Exam for the past week. I was plain worn out. Scheduled it for 10:30am on Thursday, drove to Richmond, finished around 11:30...and guess what was around the corner from the testing place? Capital Ale House! I started with a glass of Rodenbach Grand Cru. Holy sh*t, it was unbelievable! The acidity and sourness was the perfect palate-starter after chugging all that coffee for the exam. Then I had a Brooklyn Extra Brune, which was as close to trappist fare as I've seen an American brewery every get. Just awesome!

Hopped in the car, put on Jamil's Flanders Red episode, and drove to the Weekend Brewer. Picked up 50 lbs of Briess Pilsner and 50 lbs of Briess 2-row for under $100...also picked up some Essex Ale yeast and Southern German Lager---figuring on doing a XXX Old Ale with the former and a Munich Helles with the latter.

Took the long trip home (Weekend Brewer is my closest LHBS, but since it's 90 mins away, it's not really "local"), brewed a Saison with some good company from Beeropolis.

Friday, woke up at 4:30am, drove down to Lynchburg (90 mins or so each way) to set up our display for a Humane Society conference. Drove home around noon, hopped in the car with the wife, and drove up to Philly (for a wedding). 6 hours later, we got settled in our hotel---and if you'd believe it, we were staying at the Warwick, which is literally up the block and around the corner from Monk's! We hit the open bar that the wedding families had at a pub, then went straight to Monk's.

Started with a Monk's Flemish Sour (of course). What a great beer...definitively more vinegarry than the Rodenbach, but still true to style. Wifey had a Saison that was delicious but I cannot recall the name of. Next we split a Geants Goliath Tripel, which was estery and candied and had a good amount of residual sugar. The food was incredible...we had a bucket of mussels iin a bacon and shallot sauce, and a hamburger with truffle cheese and frites. Then we hit the back bar and hung out with some guys at the bar who were in town from Boston, had an Avery Czar, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Flying Fish Espresso Porter. I also talked the other guys into all getting a glass of Rochefort 8, and they loved it, and I had a taste, and subsequently bought a bottle to go. By that point I was sufficiently wrecked (I'd had Dewars and Jamisons at the open bar before dinner) but we somehow made it back to the hotel...

All in all, Philly's an okay place, but not one of my favorite cities. If it weren't for Monk's, I wouldn't go back. :cross: Nice wedding, though, great reception.

And I complain about driving to the LHBS and its 30min round trip if I know what I want..

Thats a damn lot of driving in a few days.

Yeah, well, that's why I order online for most of my stuff---but I had to go to Richmond for the test, so I figured I'd kill 2 birds. Supposedly we're getting an LHBS here in town in April!

I'm surprised you thought the Monk's was more vinegary than the RGC. I've only had the Monk's in bottles so perhaps is an on-site, draft sort of thing.

I really enjoyed the RGC, but I had a .75l and it was just too much for one person to drink, in my opinion. Wrecked my palate.

PseudoChef said:
I'm surprised you thought the Monk's was more vinegary than the RGC. I've only had the Monk's in bottles so perhaps is an on-site, draft sort of thing.

I really enjoyed the RGC, but I had a .75l and it was just too much for one person to drink, in my opinion. Wrecked my palate.

The last time I had Monk's Cafe Flemish Red in a bottle it was pretty sweet with only a faint green apple/sour tang and a pretty overwhelming sweet finish.

Evan, was Monk's the only place you hit in town?

brewt00l said:
The last time I had Monk's Cafe Flemish Red in a bottle it was pretty sweet with only a faint green apple/sour tang and a pretty overwhelming sweet finish.

Evan, was Monk's the only place you hit in town?

Yeah, the bottled version is very different, and I'm sure even the kegs/casks at the cafe differ from batch to batch...but yes, the draft Monk's Flemish that I happened to taste was relatively vinegarry, while I got pretty much zero vinegar taste from the RGC. According to JZ, you get a more vinegarry product from oxygen permeation, so I suppose large batches would be more susceptible to it than bottles.

Yeah, Monks was all I really had time for. We got into town around 8 on friday night, had to make an appearance at the Irish pub where the pre-wedding-party was held, and it was past midnight when we left Monks. Saturday was the wedding and then the reception and then the post-reception-party...so, yeah, it was limited, but I made it count.

blacklab said:
Sweet weekend! 2 days of beeriness usually results in one day of hangoveriness for me, though.

I think the yeast from bottle/keg conditioning helps, what with all the vitamin B...plus it helps to drink a bunch of water before bed, which I did. I got pretty slammed at the wedding recep, too, but managed to sober up a touch while we walked around looking for water ice afterwards...

Sounds like a damn fine weekend. I empathize with your studying woes; I recently took the state geology board exams in California, and three months of studying almost killed me. And I only had three exams. Nine sounds tough!

Regarding the beer...I love Rodenbach, and I just tried a Monk's last week. I think it has excellent balance, but comparing it next to the Grand Cru might be a bit unfair. RGC is just so good.

I myself had a beer weekend, which including a tour and tasting session at Anderson Valley Brewing Company. Pictures and write-up to follow tonight.

Cheers,

Q.

Evan! I feel your pain...I too am knee deep into the ARE..currently I'm studying for the Materials & Methods portion, and except for a beer weekend here & there, there is no freetime for much of anything. Thank goodness we have the great hobby of homebrewing to keep us happy & sane. Which portion did you just take? Which one is next? Good luck.

Evan! said:
Yeah, Monks was all I really had time for. We got into town around 8 on friday night, had to make an appearance at the Irish pub where the pre-wedding-party was held, and it was past midnight when we left Monks. Saturday was the wedding and then the reception and then the post-reception-party...so, yeah, it was limited, but I made it count.

How'd they treat you...get the weekend night 'tude?

archjjg said:
Evan! I feel your pain...I too am knee deep into the ARE..currently I'm studying for the Materials & Methods portion, and except for a beer weekend here & there, there is no freetime for much of anything. Thank goodness we have the great hobby of homebrewing to keep us happy & sane. Which portion did you just take? Which one is next? Good luck.

Actually I just took M&M. Didn't find it all that bad, honestly. First one was CD's. next I think I'll tackle a graphic vignette like site planning.

Evan!...you're from Charlottesville? ..isn't that the home of Old School Freight Train & King Wilke? great bluegrass/country bands...I've seem both several times up here near NYC.

ug,
I need to get off my duff and submit my IDP hours so i can take that darn test. I've covering my ears and singing at the top of my lungs at any mention of that beast. My latest excuse is they are revamping it and the previous sections won't be accecpted after some time this summer right?
Either way, need to do it... Or at least get my hours in so my next review it isn't an issue...

ug, i though i came here to get away from that world!
what type of work do you guys do?
this has kept me busy the last year
http://www.glendalerugby.com/
stadium is built and in use,
the Sports Center will open in June, next phase the Internation Center is flying steel and will open in November.
some video of the matches
http://www.glendalerugby.com/fanzone_replay.asp

EXAMS!!! EXAMS!!! I HAYTE YOU!

I spent some money I was supposed to use on a GRE study guide for the GRE I'm taking in April for some brew ingredients....life choice? I dunno....but the beer is damn good.

Here's to taking it once and ONLY ONCE!

davefleck said:
ug,
I need to get off my duff and submit my IDP hours so i can take that darn test. I've covering my ears and singing at the top of my lungs at any mention of that beast. My latest excuse is they are revamping it and the previous sections won't be accecpted after some time this summer right?
Either way, need to do it... Or at least get my hours in so my next review it isn't an issue...

ug, i though i came here to get away from that world!
what type of work do you guys do?
this has kept me busy the last year
http://www.glendalerugby.com/
stadium is built and in use,
the Sports Center will open in June, next phase the Internation Center is flying steel and will open in November.
some video of the matches
http://www.glendalerugby.com/fanzone_replay.asp

Yeah, they switch over to (ugh) 4.0 in July. I'm taking the tests in a particular order so when they shuffle them around for 4.0, I won't have to re-take any subsections. That would seriously piss me off if I had to, for instance, re-take CD's because it's been reconfigured to be part of Predesign. Someone would probably get stabbed.

Enjoy 4.0, though...supposedly, instead of all multiple choice as they have now (outside of the vignettes), they're going to have a bunch of fill-in-the-blanks. SCUM! That's gonna blow.

I too procrastinated on submitting my hours. If it gives you any indication of how much I procrastinated, when I finally got around to submitting them, I had like 1300 credits (needed 750)! So now my wife, who finished school 1 year after me, is 3 tests ahead of me because of my slackin'. But such is life. The workload at my firm was greater than hers, so I didn't have all the free time she did.

I work on various types of projects, mostly animal shelters and big condominiums.

Back