Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
When you purchase extract from the homebrew shop, you dont really know what temp it was mashed at....So is it safe to say that the amout of fermentables could vary from time to time when the brew shop gets another batch of malt in??

I would assume that the manufacturer of the extract, like any company, strives to produce a consistent product. Companies like Munton's & Fison's are global....there is no way they would be as successful if their products were not consistent.

Dark_Ale said:
When you purchase extract from the homebrew shop, you dont really know what temp it was mashed at....So is it safe to say that the amout of fermentables could vary from time to time when the brew shop gets another batch of malt in??

Probably, but I'll bet that amount is very slight.

When you are making a very small batch of something, a drop or two of some or other ingredient makes a rather large difference. If you are making 3000 gallons of something, a drop or two makes no difference at all. Which is to say, my guess is that the contents of your extract can are damn near identical each and every time, store to store, year to year. These guys have fine controls, and their company depends on making identical product over and over, and it should be basically pretty easily within their means to do so, with gravity, ph, hardness, bitterness all completely adjustable to them.

I have worked as a QCA (quality control analyst) in a large dairy plant. It is safe to say that the products have to fall inside a standard set pair of increments with regard to the full range of criteria that is being tested. Honestly, for you as the customer, it is not your job to worry about such issues as this. Kick your feet up and relax man

Back