Fight brewing over homebrew proposal in Wisconsin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc9eci

Reaction score
Oregon recently rewrote our laws to allow us to take homebrew out of the house for personal consumption and competitions

Yeah, in Utah I think we're limited to transporting 72 ounces per person over 21. Moronic, but it is Utah and we have a whole bunch of other ridiculous liquor laws as well.

Only reason for these dumb laws is the popularity of homebrewing in your state. You are interfering with state revenues from commercial beer sales.

Not sure about the laws in Wisconsin, but from what I understand a lot of these laws still exist from prohibition days and have been forgotten by even many liquor control boards.

Nice press coverage...That was more vague than a fortune cookie fortune but at least it is in someone's news... I am near 80% sure that this bill is moving forward unopposed. The tavern league was against us but has since backed down as far as I knew and was it's only opposition that I heard/know of.

So what if I take a bottle of home brew (beer or wine) into a restaurant/bar and get charged a capping/corking fee? Some of my home brew club meetings are in a bar. Before all this went crazy the owner/tarbender LOVED when we would bring a bottle to share.

Time will tell...

Opposed by the beer distributor's association eh? That's not a shock. They'd rather you buy from them. I'm surprised the Senator was surprised when they opposed. Do they seriously see homebrew as hurting their livelihoods as middlemen?

The funny part was it was just a recent interpretation. Transported for years without issue. I heard the other house's bill made it through committee unopposed. All of our legislators are boneheads, but hopefully common sense will prevail.

There is very little common sense associated with Wisconsin politics these days. As far as transporting, I plan to practice a little civil disobedience for the time being.

I spent some time in Alabama, stationed at Ft. McClellan. I'm not surprised. Land of the free my ***.

The problem is what it would be in most states. Getting a law passed requires large donations to members of the legislature. No money no law.

The problem is what it would be in most states. Getting a law passed requires large donations to members of the legislature. No money no law.

That is why we should all be members of the American Homebrewers Association! One of their missions is to promote and actively lobby for homebrewer friendly legislation. It may not matter in my state, but I am happy to help out fellow brewers in other states by paying my membership dues

I spent some time in Alabama, stationed at Ft. McClellan. I'm not surprised. Land of the free my ***.

I had a tongue-in-cheek crack about that in my first post to this thread, but then feeling neighbourly, I dropped it. Same goes for Canada in a lot of ways, "Freedom" can be a strange beast. We are free, but there are some arcane head scratcher's posing as laws on the books.

Think it's silly there is a limit on gallons produced a year. Could argue for equal protection. Would be the same as yelling an artist they can only paint 100 pictures or a writer they can only publish10 stories a year.

The two things that fuel legislation like this are politician seeking support from different groups( beer and churches interesting bed fellows) and misunderstanding about home brewing. Then a majority regulates the minority.

IT'S BULL&$@T.

Well beer will make you go blind if you do it wrong I guess.

[ame]http://youtu.be/CXTqCZi8iOM[/ame]

Think it's silly there is a limit on gallons produced a year. Could argue for equal protection. Would be the same as yelling an artist they can only paint 100 pictures or a writer they can only publish10 stories a year.

The two things that fuel legislation like this are politician seeking support from different groups( beer and churches interesting bed fellows) and misunderstanding about home brewing. Then a majority regulates the minority.

IT'S BULL&$@T.

Ha! The benefit of a two party system is that at least the ruling party is elected into power by more than half the voters. Our Jack Ass PM has a rock solid mandate as decided on by the "majority" because something like 36% of voters voted for his party.

Too much in our world is broken. If you need me, I'll be out back packing my survival supplies.

Ha! The benefit of a two party system is that at least the ruling party is elected into power by more than half the voters. Our Jack Ass PM has a rock solid mandate as decided on by the "majority" because something like 36% of voters voted for his party.

Too much in our world is broken. If you need me, I'll be out back packing my survival supplies.

That's why the supream court is part of the checks and balances. Problem is some one has to go thru the trouble to present the case to them.

Well beer will make you go blind if you do it wrong I guess.

http://youtu.be/CXTqCZi8iOM

Got to love cops.

The majority leader was that one vote. You should have seen the notes the drafter put on at the end of the amendment LOL. I think Fitzgerald was having a stroke when he wrote it up.

I was looking on the State website yesterday but couldn't find the info. I'll have a look later when I get home and get the kid fed.

Latest posts

Back