Honey Weizen not looking too good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
I bottled my honey weizen nearly three weeks ago (this Saturday will be three weeks). I took a couple and put them in the fridge last Saturday. I opened one last Monday and one last night.
No carbonation at all, tasted terrible, green and sweet.
I know patience is a virtue but is it not getting late in the day for this beer ?
Slainte

Tell us more. How long did you ferment? What was your OG? What was your FG? What was your fermentation temperature? How much priming sugar did you use? How did you administer the priming sugar?

Fermented 3 weeks. Ferment temp was approx 66 degrees. 5 oz of priming sugar. Boiled sugar in water placed in bottom of bottling bucket. Racked with auto siphon, tube was placed in bottom of bucket in a semi circle configuration which created a nice swirl to mix in the sugar.
OG was 1.045, FG was 1.012
Slainte

What temp are you conditioning your bottles at? It is getting towards winter if its in a cold place perhaps bring them indoors and give them another week or so?

Sounds to me like you did everything right. This is a long shot but it's within the realm of possibility that the honey in your beer wore the yeast out and it all died before it had a chance to clean up after itself. This would explain the acetaldehyde and the failure to prime. Were you confident about the health of your pitch?

I pitched one smack pack. Fermentation was good not crazy. I have a pack of dry muntons yeast, could I add a pinch to some bottles to see if that makes a difference.
I hope I don't have to dump 53 bottles of beer as that would totally suck.

I am brewing a Belgium wit tonight ya
Slainte

I had a batch one time that didn't carbonate. I did open the bottles and add a few grains of dry yeast to each bottle and recapped with sanitized caps. The beer did then carbonate and was very good. It has been my experience that a beer with honey in it tastes green a lot longer than a beer without. I have had to age beer with honey up to 6 months then it tasted very good. Never give up on a batch of beer unless you know it is contaminated or infected. The only batch I ever threw out was a Chocolate Stout that I broke a floating thermometer in the brewpot when cooling.

Good luck. And as Charlie says, "Relax and have a homebrew."

Back