I got lucky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vav

Reaction score
So, i'm a beer expert a fine liquor store, right? One day some guy comes in, and we chat about beer for awhile. I mention i brew. He says "Oh you should drop by and pick the hops in my backyard. My wife thought they looked neat, so we have a lot." I then forget about it entirely until i realized it was August. So i gave him a call. Turns out, his wife bought a Cascade rhizome, and they planted it along their fence 2 years ago. He invites me to come over and take a look, and lo and behold, he has about 10 feet horizontal along the fence, 6 feet vertical, a giant Cascade bine.

I was awed, naturally, and came home to do some research, reading back threads here, googling Hop growing, etc.

Went back today, and found some were ready for picking. So here are some photos, first a few of the plant in situ, then some close ups of some big cones, then the day's harvest, on a dirty window screen sitting on top of a laundry rack above a dirty box fan.

Comments and such would be appreciated, as this is the first time i've ever picked hops.

plant2.jpg

plant4.jpg

plant3.jpg

plant1.jpg

Someone started a thread here about how big his hops are....man I think
you topped him with a few in those pictures.
What a great find. Many of us have worked hard just to get a few oz's here
and there.

Someone started a thread here about how big his hops are....man I think
you topped him with a few in those pictures.
What a great find. Many of us have worked hard just to get a few oz's here
and there.

Yah, some of these cones are massive...largest one i've found thus far was about 2 1/2 inches.

This particular crop is about a pound wet weight...i'd guess around 250 cones.

There are still about 1000+ cones on the bines that arent ready yet :mug::ban:

You scored! Those are huge for cascade. But- I think you may have picked a bit early. Many wait until the brachs(sp?) begin to brown just a bit. Was there a lot of lupalin? How is the aroma? Regardless, you have a great connection! Congrats!

You scored! Those are huge for cascade. But- I think you may have picked a bit early. Many wait until the brachs(sp?) begin to brown just a bit. Was there a lot of lupalin? How is the aroma? Regardless, you have a great connection! Congrats!

The only ones i picked were getting there...the leaves on the cone were beginning to turn brown. Every single cone, ready or not, has a huge aroma when crushed, and once again, even the unripe ones have visible lupulin (yellow pollen.)

I'm going to go back and check on them in a few more days.

Feel free to send me some :p

I have a friend who found hops growing in his backyard. He's not sure if the person who planted them knew what they were or not.

P.S. thanks for pointing me here, I was actually not already a member.

Feel free to send me some :p

I have a friend who found hops growing in his backyard. He's not sure if the person who planted them knew what they were or not.

P.S. thanks for pointing me here, I was actually not already a member.

Welcome aboard darling, Kim says come visit us :)

This, right here, this is why I want to move out of my apartment and into a house already. 11 months left on my lease...

My dive instructor has Cascade and Centennial that have been growing for years - thanks for the reminder that I need to give him a call!!! Me: "Hey Joe, need help with the harvest?"

:D

Back