White Lab Vials - Sterlized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbrew

Reaction score
I just purchase my 16 quart pressure cooker and decided to put those old saved White Lab vials to work again with some fresh yeast. So my thinking was to put the (30) or so vials in the cooker and sterilize them. I was surprised when I opened the lid to find my originally clear vials, completely turned white and opaque.

Has anyone else tried this and if so is there any down side from the change on opacity?

Thanks,
BB.

wl_vial-61548.jpg

This is what it looks like. They were completely clear before.

I wanted to do the same thing. Emailed White labs and got a reply saying they would melt in a pressure cooker. Never attempted it. The autoclavable tubes are cheap enough..

Wash them out, stick a little starsan in give a shake, in a few minutes you got sanitized tubes. sterilization is overkill. Of course after writing this I'll get my first infection in 14 years!

Silly question but how did you remove the labels completely? I tried with hours in Oxiclean and I have a layer of glue that won't come off.

Goo gone is what I used. I initially soaked in PBW to get the paper portion off and then used some mineral spirits, which did dissolve the glue. The down side was that it had this chemical smell so I switched over the goo gone. This did the trick but goo gone ain't that cheap.

One other thing, about this process. Before I did the White Lab tubes, I put my beakers and Pyrex flask in the pressure cooker. I did fill the beakers and flask about half way with water. I got this heavy white residue up to that level. Has anyone else experienced that.

I'm wondering if it is a result the minerals in the water. We have Cleveland municipal water with low Calcium and Magnesium content so I can't understand what it is. Any comments would be appreciated.

BTW, thanks for the previous helpful comments.
BB

Goo gone is what I used. I initially soaked in PBW to get the paper portion off and then used some mineral spirits, which did dissolve the glue. The down side was that it had this chemical smell so I switched over the goo gone. This did the trick but goo gone ain't that cheap.

One other thing, about this process. Before I did the White Lab tubes, I put my beakers and Pyrex flask in the pressure cooker. I did fill the beakers and flask about half way with water. I got this heavy white residue up to that level. Has anyone else experienced that.

I'm wondering if it is a result the minerals in the water. We have Cleveland municipal water with low Calcium and Magnesium content so I can't understand what it is. Any comments would be appreciated.

BTW, thanks for the previous helpful comments.
BB

Adding some white vinegar to the water in the pressure cooker will prevent the mineral build up.

Adding some white vinegar to the water in the pressure cooker will prevent the mineral build up.

Coming back to the beaker residue question. I put some of the residue in the SEM today to do a chemical composition and sure enough. Lots of Magnesium and Aluminum.
thumb2_composition2-61671.jpg

composition-61672.jpg

Navy_Chief, does the white vinegar combine with these elements to precipitate out?

Thanks, BB

Congratulations, you win the most over-specified test equipment used in homebrewing competition. And possibly the internet.

Dyqik - Didn't know I was entering into a homebrewing competition with this post. In fact, I was just looking for an answer to my original question on what was the film generated in the pressure cooker. I happen to be training the day earlier on this equipment and decided to try to run a simple test to see if I could navigate the series of button clicks and procedures to get an understandable results. Thought it might be interesting to share the aluminum / magnesium oxide with the forum.

All the best.
BB

I was making a joke, and complimenting you. I guess you haven't heard of the phrase "this post wins the internet" as term of geeky appreciation?

Should've used a smiley I guess...

Back