Wine kit help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a wine kit for me to make. Been doing beer for a while....first ever wine. Looking for a sweet wine (mostly for the wife). Tried looking around and it seems that Cellar Craft Showcase or En Primeur kits may be the best....but they seem to be more of the dry wines. Am I way off here? Or is there a nicer kit that produces a sweet wine?

Thanks for any help!

Truly, the only sweet wine kits available are the "mist" type kits (Orchard Breezin, Island Mist). They ferment a base grape juice to dry and get their sweetness and flavor by adding in a quart or so of a flavoring pack. The flavoring pack has sorbate to arrest any further fermentation. Tha alcohol is low and the flavor is strong so that the wine is easy to drink in 5 or 6 weeks. They are super-easy to make.

Other than those kits, you might find a few kits that claim to be semi-sweet, but thats stretching it for someone that only drinks sweet wines.

I've had a sample of the Wine Expert Cabernet Franc Icewine and I thought it was really very good! You must keep in mind that it is a 3 gallon kit and you will pay around 100 bucks USD for it, but is an icewine.

One of the other companies sells an icewine as well and also there are some port kits out there which are normally rather sweet I believe. I don't know if the port kits come with spirits to fortify your wine with or if they call on you to purchase some Brandy or something to finish them off.

Back