Corny Cleaning (gettin' the soda out)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanH

Reaction score
What's the best way?

I scored some sweet cornys but now I'm left with cleaning out eight of these things. Some have several gallons of soda still inside.

I fill 'em full of hot PBW and turn 'em upside down to let them soak for a day or twelve. Good luck getting the soda smell out. I have several that still smell like sprite when empty, but I don't think it affects the beer flavor or smell.

Yeah I have one that smells like sprite and I think it does effect the flavor. On that one, I had soaked it in oxiclean for a day and a half because I read that it's bad for stainless.

I also heard of someone using (a whole box???) baking soda. Not sure about that. I guess I'm about to find out. Thanks for the reply. If a week of PBW works then I'll do it.

I just learned that you don't want to be the first (beer) owner of a corny. I just cleaned out eight of them, six of which had at least a gallon of soda, each, in them. Pretty gross stuff in that volume.

Not quite the same,...but...Homemade PBW mix took the smell of a Sour Mash we did right out. Had to use extra amount and extra time, with 5 rinses but it smelled clean as new..

Pumpkinman906 said:
Not quite the same,...but...Homemade PBW mix took the smell of a Sour Mash we did right out. Had to use extra amount and extra time, with 5 rinses but it smelled clean as new..

Awesome; thanks. I have them soaking with generic oxiclean. I plan to rinse as repeat as necessary. I guess that's all I can do.

In addition to oxy/pbw, if you happen to get a soda keg with root beer in it; clean it extra well and replace all the rubber parts coming in contact with beer. It will have an impression on the beer fo sho.

gpack said:
In addition to oxy/pbw, if you happen to get a soda keg with root beer in it; clean it extra well and replace all the rubber parts coming in contact with beer. It will have an impression on the beer fo sho.

I had two with 5 gallons of diet Pepsi, one w/ 5G Pepsi, a couple tonics, and one with a gallon of whatever lemon/lime type soda it happened to be. The others were empty but dirty. All were pressurized. Dumping out that much soda into the bath tub was pretty gross. I definitely prefer beer to soda.

Latest posts

Back