has anyone tried sodastream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's at least one thread a month asking about it, but noone's actually used it and posted, the price of the co2 is pretty outrageous, so these threads die after the second or third post.

I think rather than someone asking about it, someone should actually take one for the team, buy one and give it a try. It seems like Bed Bath and Beyond gives folks a million coupons in the mail and in circulars, and they let you combine them even on one purchase (my GF always has a wad of them,) seems to me you could get this for almost free, and put together a thread on it, for good or bad.

Alright I have one. Its a model from Williams Sonoma that looks like a penguin.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sodastream-penguin-water-carbonator/?pkey=e|soda|8|best|0|1|24||2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule-_-

Its use is very specific however. You are supposed to carbonate only water and then add flavoring syrups of your choosing to make any specific soda. In my attempts of carbonating various juices, it has always resulted in a sticky mess. As excess pressure is relieved from the glass bottles after carbonation, the juice foams and overflows uncontrollably. I consider it a very impractical way of carbonating cider in large volumes.

That shouldn't happen if the liquid is very cold. My sister actually has one and one thing I can tell right away is that they get near instant carbonation by applying a LOT of pressure. Based on how thick the bottles are, I'd take a guess that it runs something like 200 PSI.

I gave one to SWMBO for Christmas. She & the kids love it. Refills are $15, but she had a coupon for $5 off last time we refilled...

Works fine. We have different flavored syrups for it, but mostly the kids drink carbed water this way. And, no, I have not tried to force carb my homebrew with it!

I have been using Sodastream since it was called Soda Club (mail order only then) and am very satisfied. The soda comes out nicely carbonated and the flavors, regular and diet are great.

AS far as price goes I calculate the soda is cheaper then supermarket sales. The CO2 refills are reasonably priced as long as you swap the bottles.

I tried using it to carbonate flat brew:

1. Must use their one litre bottles
2. No guage to indicate CO2 pressure - must guess
3. Result drinkable - better then tossing out 5 gal. of good stuff

Any further efforts to carbonate cider with the soda stream? Any results? I'm about to rack a batch, and trying to figure out my next steps towards sparkling cider with a bit more apple flavor...

I would not recommend carbonating liquids other than plain water with a sodastream. Carbonating tends to agitate the liquid, causing it to splash up and around the working parts of the SS. Carbonating other liquids (beer, cider, etc) will gum up the SS pretty quickly.

I read an article where someone modified the SS with a hose to carbonate different liquids (I think they were making carbonated cocktails)...so that is an option.

Back