Weisse Recipe: Any Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
All Grain

6# German Wheat
3# Germ Pils
1/2# Crystal 40L
.5oz Hallertau Hersbrucker at 60
.5oz Hallertau Hersbrucker at 5
Whitelabs Wiehenstephan 3068 Yeast

Mash at 152

Is this grain bill right? I've only brewed an american wheat. What about the hop schedule? Should I make it just one 60 min addition of an ounce?

I hope you have some rice hulls for that sparge :) The bill looks good to me, I'd consider bumping up the pils and lowering the wheat a bit, especially if you don't have rice hulls.

The grain bill looks good to me. +1 on the rice hulls. Wheat malts do not have husks that add in lautering, so Rice Hulls would be beneficial. A couple of hand fulls is all you need. I recommend soaking the rice hulls in hot water for 15 minutes before adding them to the mash tun. That way the hulls will soak up some water before getting added to the mash, and rice hulls always seem to leave the water looking dirty. Not something I would want in my beer.

That's what I was thinking. I'm such a noob with this style. I usually subsribe to hop madness with my beers. :rolleyes:

If you want true to style, only add the bittering hops.

If you are indeed a wee bit hop mad, then make your own take on the style with hops at the end, like you show in your recipe...

Back