Southern Tier 2X Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
Has anyone here every tried this? I picked up a 6-pack of this for the hockey game the other day and had a few. I did not really have an opinion on this it was good but a bit sweet. It was my first Milk Stout so I am not sure if this is about how most of them taste or if there's better or worse. I was not wow'ed by the beer but maybe I am just not a Milk Stout kind of guy.

I usually like Stout but am not too sure about this one...

Thoughts?

Milk Stouts are so named because lactose (an unfermentable milk sugar) has been added to the recipe to increase sweetness.

Sounds like you should steer clear of the Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout, too.

I love Southern Tier, but my main complaint is the abundance of sweet stouts. The majority of their stouts are sweet.

Even their Jahva and Oatmeal Stout are fairly sweet.

The majority of their stouts also use flavorings, which I kinda feel is cheating. I really liked the Creme Brulee stout before I figured out that it wasn't actually vanilla beans and burnt sugar; but rather an artificial extract.

Oh well.

Back