Best iPhone App for Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good iPhone all for brewing?

Specifically, I'm looking for an app that will tell me how much strike water I'll need and the temp it should be to get a mash at a specified temp.

I've been using BrewPal and SpargePal. Even when I punch in the same info, both BrewPal and SpargePal spit out different numbers and, in the end, I can never seem to get the mash temp exactly right.

Any ideas?

For what its worth, I use a 10 gallon cooler for a mash tun.

Thanks

I paid for iBrewmaster and have had good success with it. Plus you can download or upload recipes, there are timers integrated and also an inventory keeper. Good program.

SpargePal has always been great for me. It gets me exactly where I need to be for temps. As for other apps, I just bought iBrewMaster. It's pricey at $10, but WELL worth the money. I've never seen such an in depth app for brewing. It's mostly for recipe formulation though.

I'd used BrewMath for that with a 5 gallon cooler sparge and it worked well. I do BIAB exclusively now though, so I don't use that part anymore.

Where are the timers in ibrew?

Matt - The timers are in where you add a recipe to the Batch tab. You have to open up the recipe and it will have timers alerady pre-set for boil for the hop additions and also a different timer for standard mashing.

By the way..
Semper Fi - from a former Marine Sergeant

JonGrafto said:
I paid for iBrewmaster and have had good success with it. Plus you can download or upload recipes, there are timers integrated and also an inventory keeper. Good program.

+1
I've been very happy with this app. Lots of flexibility, and easy to use.

I used BrewPal this last batch

... I wish BeerSmith would put one out already. I would like to sync with my laptop and iphone.

Does anyone know if there is an app that you can use on a mac OS and iphone iOS together? I want something on my iphone, but it would be nice to create a recipe on my laptop with the bigger screen, and then export it to my phone for the actual brew day. Then I could export it back to my laptop for saving. Not sure if there is anything out there like this.

iBrewMaster looks great, but it appears they have separate apps for mac and iPhone. It would be nice if there was just one that would work together.

JG

Beer alchemy is the app I use on my iPhone.

Sorry just realized you wanted on Mac too. I haven't tried I don't have a Mac I check for you.
http://beeralchemy.m.en.softonic.com/mac
Looks like they might this was a download link for the Mac

Interesting - the reviews on the iphone version all talk about synching with a desktop version on their mac - sounds perfect. However, when I search the app store on my mac under the beeralchemy name, nothing shows up. I am new to the mac world, and not very well versed in the app stores. Am I doing something wrong? Everyone reviewing the iphone version talks about it working with their desktop - even reviews placed within the last few days.

JG

after some additional research - it looks like beersmith has something basically what I am looking for. They have beersmith 2 for the mac OS, and have a beersmith lite for the iphone. According to this http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,7733.0.html they will have a full version of the iphone app coming in the new year. The current version does not allow recipe editing on the iphone, only the desktop.

Otherwise it sounds like a great option - if only it were a few months ahead of schedule!

JG

Back