Dreadnaught clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. The recipe calls for Melanoidin malt. I have never heard of this variety. My local supply store has never heard of it either. Any suggestions on substitutions?

funny.. melanoidin malt was what prompted me to post a thread about starting a thread for various specialty grains so people can look up whaqt properties they have.

Most sources I have seen (including Baron von BeeGee) claim that melanoidin malt brings an intense maltiness to a beer. (Though, I have seen once source that says it is tangy in taste!)

I'm leaning towards it being malty since that description wins 10 to 1.

Belgian Aromatic malt is supposed to malty in aroma (but I don't know about it's taste.)

I've never used either of these grains before.

I'll sit back and let someone else who has used melanoidin speak up, but (to my amatuer brain) I would think that you could use aromatic as a subsstitute, maybe with some crystal if the aromatic imparts ONLY aroma.

-walker

Thanks for the prompt replies. I will look around the web for more info and wait for more replies here.

Thanks again

Funny you should start a thread on this, as it will probly be my next batch. I didn't realize the call cor that strange malt. I'll have to lookinto that. Let us know how it goes. Ill be doing mine in a few weeks probly.

It may be a while until I brew Dreadnaught due to the fact that I need to order Melanoidin malt. I need to look into weather or not I can import malts into Canada from US. I am sure it will not be a problem. I found the malt at Northern Brewer. Wow they have a great selection. Will probably brew Russian Rivers double IPA first. I tasted it at GABF last October, it really blew my mind. GABF really opened my eyes as to what I like in beers. 1085 and 100 IBU's.

Thanks for the replies

I'm brewing a Dreadnaught clone right now. Didn't have an issue at all @ my brew store getting the partial mash ingredients. I got the recipe from an older BYO mag. About to bottle a Stone Ruination clone and next is Pliney The Elder..

WOW... major zombie thread.

Zombie_thread_alert.JPG

Latest posts

Back