Real Ale at home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimswms

Reaction score
First post. Be easy on me:rockin:

Anybody make cask conditioned ales at home? I started a lame blog about it last year that went nowhere. Here it is.

I've always gotten my stuff from UK Brewing. Paul is great, and supplies most of the breweries/pubs in the US. I also noticed Northern Brewer is starting to carry cask stuff. I might start supporting them for my cask bits, just to help on the homebrew level.

Of course, this is what it's about right?
3a8ae338.jpg

and settled, topped up
708b85ec.jpg

Cheers!

That pint looks great. And I just skimmed through your cask blog, really interesting...I bet if you'd posted it here on HBT you'd have gotten a lot of inquisitive eyeballs!

Welcome and cheers

I have always want to try making a cask conditioned ale, but the fact that you have to finsh the cask so fast has always been a turn off. Might be fun at a BBQ in the summer where i had help to drink all 5 gallons.

Thanks guys.

Since I make 10 gal batches, I started with a firkin. It went off too fast, so I bought a couple pins and that works much better. I use a cask breather, and can realistically keep a cask in good condition for 3-4 weeks. The 2 pin approach for homebrewers is ideal.

It's much easier than folks might think once the $$ investment is complete, and very rewarding. I try to always have at least one cask on always.

That pint looks great. And I just skimmed through your cask blog, really interesting...I bet if you'd posted it here on HBT you'd have gotten a lot of inquisitive eyeballs!

Welcome and cheers

I'll repost the how to section when I get time!

Latest posts

Back