Brewing Instructions from 1861

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a really interesting excerpt, thanks for posting it. I'm honestly very surprised about how close that is to our current brewing practices and about some of the details that were included such as the importance of chilling the beer quickly. Sounds like they had has many of the details figured out as their technology would allow.

That was a really interesting excerpt, thanks for posting it. I'm honestly very surprised about how close that is to our current brewing practices and about some of the details that were included such as the importance of chilling the beer quickly. Sounds like they had has many of the details figured out as their technology would allow.

But the mid-to late 1800's was thebeginning of the height of modern brewing, this was the start of the "German Invasion" and the shift away from Ales towards the American Lager. This was when Anton Schwartz and Karl Balling at at the Prague Polytechnic Institute (and Later in America) were developing ways to handle hazy American 6-row and mashing Corn and Rice (which wqas really expensive AND complicated and why Budweiser was the most expensive beer on the market when it came out. Like 17.00/bottle in 1860's money)

All sorts of developments in brewing were hapenning, bottling lines, transportation, refrigeration.

The 1860's was sort of the golden age of modern brewing, and most everything we do today started to be developed during that time.

We're not talking the Stone Age here...Just the opposite, the beginning of the modern industrial era.

November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-07-06.mp3

And how could they possibly make beer without a chiller? :p

I believe it might have been called "the crick out back" though I'm not sure. But they really had it going on if you truly looked at a brewery from that era, gravity fed and everything, even 20 years before that.

Like what I showed here from 1847(but built in 1828); Labatt "Pioneer" Brewery.

I see the origins of first wort & dry hopping. Excellent article, thanks for posting.
I love this line: "A thin shell, well-filled up plump with the interior flour, and easily bitten asunder is a sure test of good quality in malt; superior hops are known by their bright, dry, yet somewhat gummy feel to the touch, without their having any tendency to clamminess."

-d

I believe it might have been called "the crick out back" though I'm not sure. But they really had it going on if you truly looked at a brewery from that era, gravity fed and everything, even 20 years before that.

Like what I showed here from 1847(but built in 1828); Labatt "Pioneer" Brewery.

Yes, I remember going through that when you posted it. Great stuff. They appeared to cool in troughs with paddles for stirring.

In the article linked in the op, "The beer is now to be strained through the loose wicker basket into your cooling tubs and pans; the more you have of these the better the beer, from its cooling quickly."

So they definitely saw the need to cool quickly, but they definitely did not have the technology for sanitation and materials that we have today.

No worries, it all makes beer.

Back