Any commercial suggestions for a noob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
I am interested in wild, or spontaneous-fermented beers, as I have a batch of wine that I made last year through spontaneous fermentation. Are there any commercial examples that would be good for someone who's not yet sure if they like wild beers? Thanks a bunch!

Eric

I believe that Cantillon is one of the few spontaneously fermented beers that is around these days AFAIK. Allagash should be coming out with one soon, but I am not sure when... Watch out for sticker shock on the Cantillon(IMO)...

Can't go wrong with anything Cantillon makes, but as nealf was saying they definitely don't give it away.

Hmmm, after reading the reviews of Cantillon on ratebeer.com, I'm not so sure I'd like it. Alot of folks put down vinegar smell and taste and I cant stand the stuff! Other than that it might be ok.

Eric

grab some Rodenbach, the blended version might be a better try than the Grand Cru for a sour newb though

Jolly Pumpkin also has some toned down wild beers, Calabaza Blanca, Oro de Calabaza

Duchesse de Bourgogne is another Flanders Red (like rodenbach) and is blended and more toned down

Lindemans Cuvee Rene is a pretty good gueuze, and its cheaper than cantillon etc, unlike lindemans fruit "lambics" this one is unfiltered/unpasteurized and is a traditional gueuze, very sour and somewhat funky

grab some Rodenbach, the blended version might be a better try than the Grand Cru for a sour newb though

Jolly Pumpkin also has some toned down wild beers, Calabaza Blanca, Oro de Calabaza

Duchesse de Bourgogne is another Flanders Red (like rodenbach) and is blended and more toned down

Lindemans Cuvee Rene is a pretty good gueuze, and its cheaper than antillon etc, unlike lindemans fruit "lambics" this one is unfiltered/unpasteurized and is a traditional gueuze, very sour and somewhat funky

I'd stay away from Duchesse and Rodenbach, or any other Flanders if you don't want the vinegar flavors though. A gueuze or kriek would give you a nice introduction to sours without the vinegar. Cuvee Rene gueuze is a great suggestion, though I'd stay away from the other Lindemans stuff.

Also, where are you located? There are some American breweries making great wild ales these days that you might be able to get too.

I'd stay away from Duchesse and Rodenbach, or any other Flanders if you don't want the vinegar flavors though.

the blended versions arent too acetic, especially duchesse, and are fairly sweet, but I do love Rodenbach grand cru, and other extremely sour/funky beers so my palate may be more insensitive to the lower levels in the blended versions

come to think of it, Monks cafe is another toned down beer

I'm in central NY, and there is a large food chain, Wegmans, that stocks all sorts of craft and imported beer. I've seen Lindeman's there but have always passed by it. I've been to Brewery Ommegang and Middle Ages, but neither of them make wild ales I believe.

Eric

Rodenbach GrandCru is a good sour beer. Try it and if you appreciate it you will like many different beers with a sour character.

There are also a few out there that are 100% Brett beers. Although not spontaneously fermented, it can give you an idea of what that yeast brings to the party. Victory's Wild Devil and Ommegang's Ommegeddon are two I really like. also, look out for anything labeled Geuze. I ran across a small bottle at my grocery store (which has a great beer selection) called Oud Beersel Geuze. It was quite nice, but a little pricey.

All beers that are unknown to you should be tasted, even if you think you won't like them... in may cases, especially if you think you won't like them.

Brett beers are not classically sour, they are tart.

The Ommegang Ommegeddon will probably be the first one I come across, maybe the Victory Wild Devil. I dont think I've seen the others any where around here.

Eric

I one time tried one that I think was a floris apple one I'm not sure if it was a lambic or not but it was 4 small bottles and I do remember the website delirium.be on it .I may have not looked carefully at this page it might already have been mentioned .It was good but expensive like $17.49 for a 4 pack.

Monk's Cafe is another flanders red. Very Tasty. Not like just plain acetic acid though, it's more along the lines of a fine balsamic vinegar.
Boulevard had that Brett-Saison for awhile, don't know if those are still around.
St. Louis (Belgian) makes a range of fruit lambics that aren't sweet.
Dekoch (sp?) also makes a good range of lambics.
All of Hub City's beers have a lactic infection if you'd like to know what that tastes like.
New Belgium has La Follie and Lips of faith and possibly more that I have not had.

Depends where you're located. If in the western US, search for Lost Abbey and Russian River stuff. Cantillon and 3 fonteinen are very good.

Russian River's Consecration = my absolute favorite beer. Ithaca Brute is a very nice more neutral sour (no fruits or wine). Anything Cantillon is great. Ommegang Rouge is pretty nice (And easier to find on the east coast). Monk's sour is also very nice and easy to find in/around philly. Avery Brabant is pretty good, and solid for an example of a sour aged in wine (zinfandel) barrels. Lost Abbey Cuvee De Tomme (harder to find, but very good). New Belgium - Lips of Faith (Dark Kriek).. there are a number of "lips of faith" .. dark kriek is my fav... Then there's all the various belgian ones which are so deliciously cheap in brussels but ridiculously expensive over here. *sigh*

I'll keep an eye out for the Ommegang Rouge and Ommegeddon nex time I'm at the store. I'll have to browse the Belgian beer section to see if they carry some of the others that have been mentioned.

Eric

Russian River needs emphasis. Consecration, Temptation, Sanctification, Beatification are all awe-inspiring beers. (You do pay for the awe, though.) I'd try to track down a friend in the Bay area that can mail you a few.

I recommend Orval. Its a trappist with wild Brettanomyces yeast. Basically a very bitter pale ale with incredible yeast flavor.

Big fan of the Lindemans Cuvee Rene and glad to see it getting such good reviews here. It is a very sour beer but not like vinegar. Keep the stuff away from your wine though! These styles of beer take some getting used to. It is very unique. The large bottle is difficult to drink alone but does make a great addition to a "tasting" where you can share it with 3-5 curious and adventurous friends. Many Belgian beers are still fermented in open tubs. These Geuze styles are truly an art and they are so difficult to make, and take so long, they are nearly extinct. The point being, even if it does not agree with your palette, treat it as an educational experience that will help you pull out the more subtle hints of wild yeast in other belgian style beers.

By the way, jasonh, never had Consecration but I see its on tap at a place local to here so maybe this weekend. Have had the R.R. Sanctification a while back and thats what got me hooked on the Brett.

Back