Yeast trading on slants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
For the brewers who culture their own yeast:

Anybody interested in trading yeast on slants?

I would send vials/tubes with innoculated slants and would like to receive some vials/tubes with other yeasts back. Basically just trying to save some money on yeast.

Kai

I hope this gets legs to it. I will be in down the road since I am packing up the brewery and currently have nothing on agar, just the frozen bank. Wont have the set up back in swing for 6-8 months.

It's an interesting idea. I experimented with saving yeast on agar and have a few strains saved, although never had a chance to grow full blown starter from vial amount yet. But don't you think the cost of shipping will be approximately equal to the cost of buying yeast in the local HBS?

AdIn said:
It's an interesting idea. I experimented with saving yeast on agar and have a few strains saved, although never had a chance to grow full blown starter from vial amount yet. But don't you think the cost of shipping will be approximately equal to the cost of buying yeast in the local HBS?

A padded envelope 1st class USPS should be fine. This is only 1-2$.

Kai

AdIn said:
Nope!! If you mail, make it worth it and send 3 or 4 strains in tubes. The cost is then negligible. Besides yeast on agar is more resilient then in vials of liquid. I think the only reason it is not sold that way, is it is not user friendly to anyone who doesn't want to learn how to handle yeast. When I start the process this summer I will be interested in this. What strains are you looking for Kaiser?

slnies said:
I think the only reason it is not sold that way, is it is not user friendly to anyone who doesn't want to learn how to handle yeast.

It used to be sold in the early days of home brewing. I think Brewtek yeast came that way. But yes, it is much less userfriendly and lots of things can go wrong. A nightmare for every companies customer service.

When I start the process this summer I will be interested in this. What strains are you looking for Kaiser?

- WLP830 or WY2124 (German Lager / Bohemian Lager)
- WLP838 or WY2308 (Munich Lager)
- WLP833 German Bock
- WY2042 Danish lager

and other yeasts that others have to offer. I have to look through my inventory to post what I have.

Kai

I have a bunch frozen down in vials, but I'd be willing to put them on slants if people are interested in doing this. I think this is what I have now:
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Wyeast 1098 British Ale
Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wiezen
Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit
Wyeast 1244 Belgian Ale
Wyeast 2112 California Lager
Wyeast 2487VSS Hella Bock - currently out
Pacman (cultured from Rogue Shakespeare Stout)

I'd be up for this. It seems to me that the popularity of yeast culturing has really increased in the last year or so... Quite a while back I made a thread just like this (probably on another forum) and nobody seemed interested.

I'd love to experiment with other yeast varieties, but I am not to the point where I'm really fine-tuning my recipes so I use mainly neutral dry yeast for most of my brews, and have only invested in a few varieties of liquid yeast (belgian, hefe, irish, and a few others).

Well, if this is the easiest way I could get Wyeast 3864 (Belgian/Canadian) than I might be interested in trading (BTW, anyone close to the N.E. have this?). I'm building up a frozen yeast bank, with 1388 (Belgian Strong Ale) and 2001 (Urquell Lager). I will most likely just buy smack packs of a few random yeasts once in a while and build up a collection.

How would one go about getting them onto agar? Does anyone have some reading on it? I'm guessing I could get all the extra equipment at a university shop.

Well, looks like we have some interest here. I have the following:

WY 2206 - Bavarian Lager
WY 2056 - Cali Ale (who doesn't have this one :) )
WY 2007 - Classic American Pilsner
WY 1007 - Alt
WY 1??? - Koelsch
WY 3056 - Bavarian Wheat

Another option is, if people trust each other enough, to send empty slants with a paid return envelope, and have them inoculated.

Kai

I'm in for sure. Here's what I've got:

Cultured Pacman Ale
WYeast 1099 - Whitbread Ale
WYeast 3944 - Belgian Witbier
WYeast 1792 - Fat Tire Ale
WLP005 - British Ale
WLP028 - Edinburgh Ale
WLP029 - German Ale/Kolsch
WLP036 - Düsseldorf Alt
WLP099 - Super High Gravity Ale Yeast
WLP351 - Bavarian Weizen
WLP515 - Antwerp Ale
WLP530 - Abbey Ale
WLP800 - Bohemian Pilsner Lager
WLP885 - Zurich Lager

They're all frozen in glycerol at -80˚C, but I would be plenty happy to inoculate a slant for you.

Kaiser said:
Another option is, if people trust each other enough, to send empty slants with a paid return envelope, and have them inoculated.
I REALLY like that idea. Then the person receiving the yeast can do 90% of the work and the yeast 'donor' only has to do some quick inoculation and drop them in the mail, so you don't have to impose upon people too much. Plus it would let everyone hang on to their own collection of vials/tubes/plates rather than ending up with a mixed collection from donating and receiving yeast.

Depending on shipment time and ambient temps, they may be all grown by the time they arrive too :)

It might be a bit trickier in the summer, because slants made with gelatin (rather than agar) will melt at a temperature somewhere in the 80's or 90's, as I found out the hard way last year in my non-air-conditioned apartment ;)

OK, Let's get the ball rolling on this.

Frink, I'm interested in your cali lager.

Kai, I'd be interested in your Bavarian Lager for my Dopplebock.

What do I have that you guys would like? Do you want to send me tubes to inoculate, or shall I send you my slants?

Let's get this ball rollin! After a few successful trades it might be worth while to make an "official" post with protocol and inventory/requests. For now, low-key and unofficial is probably best.

I'm definitely in, I just have to order up some vials, I can steal the agar from lab. I'll try to get some slants made in the next week or so.

I think this is a great idea. I have inoculated my first five slants with wyeast 1968 London ESB and am looking for Cali ale, Alt, Wit and California lager.
I also think that since screw top autoclavable vials are so hard to find in small numbers (under 50) maybe this is a good place to discuss a case buy.

2ndstorey said:
I think this is a great idea. I have inoculated my first five slants with wyeast 1968 London ESB and am looking for Cali ale, Alt, Wit and California lager.
I also think that since screw top autoclavable vials are so hard to find in small numbers (under 50) maybe this is a good place to discuss a case buy.

http://cynmar.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=11527908

With 6mL yeast/agar there should be plenty of surface area on the slant.

mrkristofo said:

That's what I use, though I also have some slant tubes I bought from Morebeer. But the vials from cynmar can stand on their own, which is nice.

I have a batch of WY2206 going and will inoculate 2 more slants to send out. I also have a detailed history (when cultured and how long stored) of all my yeast strains and will scan this.

mrkristofo, I would be interested in your Bohemian Pilsner and Bavarian Weizen.

I'll send you PM with the details.

Kai

You guys slanting on 2% agar, 2% malt extract? Adding any yeast extract in there? I have a bunch of YM media that I never use that I might stick some agar in for this next batch, if that's alright with you.

I've been using 1-dram vials, bought 24 of them for $9 shipped on ebay. The seller didn't specify if the caps were autoclavable, and I have my doubts, so I steam/boil the vials and just let the caps soak in starsan for quite a while instead.

I'm excited to get started with this, but I've got a bit of a road trip coming up tomorrow through the middle of next week, so maybe I'll jump in on the action sometime late next week.

How many of you use agar as opposed to gelatin? I have been using gelatin because it's readily available and easy to clean up, but it does have the tendency to melt if the temp gets too high. I saw agar for sale at a natural food store nearby, I am tempted to try it out, assuming the health-food-store variety is as suitable as the lab variety... My main concerns are:
1) Is it as easy to prepare as gelatin - mix, boil, cool?
2) How tough is it to clean out of the vials? (with gelatin, holding the vial under hot tap water will melt and remove it in seconds)

Those vials look good but I think I would go up to the next size. More surface area means potentialy more yeast right?

Has anyone plated yeast to isolate pure cultures? This is something I want to do next.

Also this is the best How-To I have found. I like it a little more than the other link for sheer volume of information.
http://alsand.com/beer/index.html

2ndstorey said:
Those vials look good but I think I would go up to the next size. More surface area means potentialy more yeast right?

Has anyone plated yeast to isolate pure cultures? This is something I want to do next.

Also this is the best How-To I have found. I like it a little more than the other link for sheer volume of information.

Yeah, but at 45-30˚ slant, even in those 12mL tubes, you will have plenty yeast. These things only store for 1-2 years before you need to re-slant anyway.

When I cultured up my dead-guy from bottles I plated to choose the healthiest colonies to inoculate with. Those went directly to 5mL --> 50mL --> 1000mL growth in nutrient-rich wort (read: yeast extract & Zn added) on a stirplate. 750µL aliquots of that yeast were combined with 250µL 60% glycerol, and stored at -80˚C. The rest was used for beer. :D

2ndstorey said:

If the vials get to large, it may become more problematic to ship them. I'm quite happy with the 12ml size

That's what I plan to do once I get the yeast. Plate them to get a few pure colonies, then propagate them to make fresh slants as well as a ~500ml test batch (I generally have wort left over for this)

I intended to write some more Wiki articles on this. How to make slants and plates as well as how to inoculate them.

Kai

I found this while searching dont know if it will help or not.:

PART 4: Send Yeast Through the Mail!
The following technique is reproduced as is from the pages of the HBD; it sounds like and interesting and useful method. Now, if someone could only figure out how to send yeast by e-mail!

Subject: Mailing Strains
... I thought it worth mentioning that there is a cheaper alternative to agar slants for mailing strains, and it works just as well. We routinely send out laboratory strains on filter paper. Basically, you just put a drop of culture on a ~1 cm square piece of filter paper (probably any absorbent paper would do) and wrap the square in a piece of sterile foil. Then pop it into an envelope and send it off. When it gets to the other side, they drop the paper on a rich media plate, incubate for a day or so, and the yeast grow up. Then you streak for singles on another plate and you're set. I haven't rigorously determined the viability of cells dried on paper, but they are very stable. It works.

I can think of two possible disadvantages to this system. First, we use autoclaved paper and foil, and a surprising number of households STILL lack an autoclave. However, while commercial paper is probably not sterile, I imagine it is pretty close; the yeast are going to far outnumber anything else, and when you streak for singles you will get what you want. The foil you could always steam, but probably it would also be close enough to sterile for most people's purposes. The second drawback is that this method requires that you are set up to culture, and to streak for singles in particular. However, while this isn't absolutely necessary in the case of slants, it is certainly advisable. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there. Dave Rose Dept. of Cellular and Developmental Biology Harvard U.

That is how we send DNA through the mail. It's easy for DNA, but for yeast, I imagine it would take much longer to culture and you have to worry about a bottleneck effect to a certain degree.

AdIn said:

I don't like that he is not using sterile procedures (autoclave/pressure cooker and flaming the needle/loop)

I also read about this method of sending yeast on filter paper, but was wondering how I could sterilize the paper w/o an autoclave.

A pressure cooker may create to much moisture and leave the filter paper soggy. But the oven may work:

Take a heat proof pan. Into this pan add some water. Not much, just enough to create a moist atmosphere later. place a piece of filter paper or paper towel on a larger piece of aluminum foil and place this into the pan. Now cover the pan with aluminum foil or another heat proof top and bake in the oven at 400 *F for a while. This should get tings sterile w/o burning the paper. Once cooled add some yeast and roll/fold to seal.

at the receiving side put the paper into sterile wort or grow on a plate.

This may actually be practical and will alow us to send yeast for as little as 41 cents postage.

Kai

Hmph. And I thought I was special keeping a bank of vials...You guys win the "hardcore" award :D.

I saw that paper thread...while it would probably work, I'd still prefer slants.

By the way, I just checked the stockroom and I can get a 144-box of those 12mL vials for $43...

Kaiser said:
I don't like that he is not using sterile procedures (autoclave/pressure cooker and flaming the needle/loop)

I also read about this method of sending yeast on filter paper, but was wondering how I could sterilize the paper w/o an autoclave.

A pressure cooker may create to much moisture and leave the filter paper soggy. But the oven may work:

Take a heat proof pan. Into this pan add some water. Not much, just enough to create a moist atmosphere later. place a piece of filter paper or paper towel on a larger piece of aluminum foil and place this into the pan. Now cover the pan with aluminum foil or another heat proof top and bake in the oven at 400 *F for a while. This should get tings sterile w/o burning the paper. Once cooled add some yeast and roll/fold to seal.

at the receiving side put the paper into sterile wort or grow on a plate.

This may actually be practical and will alow us to send yeast for as little as 41 cents postage.

Kai
Put the filter paper in a mason jar and pressure cook as if it were a meat product. 45 minutes at 15 psi. Should be quit sterile until you need the paper and open the jar.

Paper would definitely need to be sterilized first. Lots of fungal spores, at least in commercial paper towel rolls. I don't know about home consumer paper towels or office type paper. Filter papers are definitely not sterile.

If anybody wants to send me some paper and a SASE I'll gladly autoclave it for you.

:off: Story time:
When I was in Grad school my not yet wife and I were in the autoclave room and we discovered where somebody had "hidden" a large (~15 gal) plastic carboy that had been accidently melted in the autoclave. This was the inspiration for a couple of weeks later the grad students having an "autoclave art" show of things melted in the autoclave. All nicely displayed in the seminar room with titles and everything. Man, we put all kinds of stuff in the autoclave. Much to my chagrin, Army Men are autoclave safe. I tried all kinds of tricks, with no luck. Man that would have won best of show.

Just the opposite, another place I worked had a freeze drier so we would have guess the dry weight contests. An item would be weighed and then put in the freeze drier. Whole oranges, bananas, mashed potatoes, a TV dinner, etc. Bets were taken.

I added the yeast I have on slants so that they show up in my signature. I will add more as I get them.
mrkristofo, I would like to buy a third of a case of vials, if there is any interest to split the case with anyone else...

So has anyone started trading yet? It's still below freezing quite often where I am, so I'm slightly leery of having yeast sit in my mailbox, but I think I'd be up for getting started pretty soon if others are.

If anyone wants any slants of yeast from my bank, just let me know, I'll be thawing out a tube of each of them and innoculating slants this week. I don't have the Hella-Bock VSS strain though, someone tossed it from my -80:(

I have a few new things, check my sinature. Also, mrkristofo, did everything come in alright? We had a cold spell just after I sent those out.

Back