Infection or something else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
So a week ago I took a specific gravity reading on one batch while I was bottling one. Had no issues with sanitization that I know of, it hasn't been an issue this far. I went to check another reading today to see if this batch was ready to bottle and I came across this. Last week when I checked the gravity there were some small particles floating at the top that had a similar appearance to this but it was just a handful.

Is this an infection or just something that I stirred up that had settled down before and moving my bucket upstairs agitated it enough?

This batch is a 1 gal honey porter, and it has been in the fermenter for about 4 weeks. Wanted to bottle last week but was concerned about the gravity, didn't want to make any bombs. SG was 1.050 and last weeks reading was 1.012 which is a bit higher than what it should be since the SG was a bit lower with less boil off than expected so I have a pint or so more than a gallon.

I would think the fermentation would be done now, should I transfer to a secondary or just let it sit in the primary to settle? Or does this look like an infection?

image-2045023895.jpg

For the most part, the green stuff just looks like hop pellet sludge and krausen. If you hadn't strained or siphoned around the hops when you transferred from the brew kettle to the fermenter, the sludge went with it, and will get stirred up if the trub at the bottom of the fermenter gets disturbed.

Is that white fuzzy stuff around the edge, or is that just a reflection of the light?

I was just thinking the same thing. Trying to make up my mind if it's from the flash,or something nasty getting started around the edges?...

I'm pretty sure that the white color around the edge is just from the flash, without the pic it doesn't have that color. All just the brownish/green color

I have a set of filters (600 um, 400 um, and 200 um) that I use when transferring from brewkettle to fermenter. That tends to get most of it out for that step, but since I have some extra in this batch what would you suggest when I bottle? If it's still floating on top should I just siphon from just below the surface and when it gets close to the top just leave that part out? Or is there a better way to get that part out to settle out and back on the bottom of the fermenter?

Siphon around it, or tie a paint strainer bag around the end of your siphon. It'll filter out most of that gunk.

Back