Another report of "Arm-in-brau" beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
I think some of you may enjoy and can relate to this (though I hope you actually don't relate, but I'm going to be realistic).

So this morning I checked on the fermentation activity of a big stout I brewed up this weekend and noticed to my dismay, the hefeweizen I brewed last week was leaking out of the fermenter at the spigot valve. I figured, "Oh, it must be a little loose," because only a little bit had been lost, so I went to go tighten it by just turning the spigot.

That was my first mistake. This made it worse; I had to rush it to the tub while holding it tight. Then popped off the lid and after spraying my arm down with StarSan popped my arm in to tighten the screw. That was my second mistake. The spigot must have been cracked when I put it on because it broke in two at this point. I ended up laying it on its side (with the lid back on, of course) then rushing out to my LHBS to get a replacement valve. Adding that meant a StarSan spray down, and "arm-in-brau", again.

All said and done, due to lucky timing I only lost just over a gallon of beer. At this moment I'm attempting to RDWHAHB and not think of infected beer. I'm doing moderately well at it.

*edit* I wish I had pictures too, but, as you may understand that was not the first thing on my mind...

It will be fine. Don't worry. ;) Im surprised you didn't have an extra carboy to seconday in. I'm sure you will get spares now

Haha, I have two carboys outside of that fermenter, but they were full! I figured there was no need to secondary a hefe, and after this was bottled, I would have room to move other stuff around.

Maybe I should keep one carboy open when I'm using the bucket...

I did the arm in brau on my last bottling day. The stupid rubber gasket was old and the spigot forced it out to the side, loosening the spigot. I lost about quarter gallon, but no infection.

I'm not too worried about infections really. I'm more bummed about the loss of good beer. It's a damn tasty weizen.

Two of my best brews I had to stick my arm in the BK after chilling to unclog my filter screen. You will probably be fine.

Looks like no problems have shown up. Bottled today, and it tasted great.

Back