Dear god, give me winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mforsman

Reaction score
NYC,

While saisons are delicious, I'd like a nice freezing, snowy, ice filled winter.

I'll slip in front of many people during the morning commute. I'll even give you three solid, head hurting falls.

Just give me some weather that I can brew my favorite pale ale in. Or if you'll bless it, experiment with my new all grain setup.

I'll layer up, do what you do best.

And when the end of the year rolls around, give me a huge raise so I can afford to run my AC all day & night and brew something new during the summer.

With love,
A hard working homebrewer.

I'm the opposite, sort of. Overall, I'm a winter person, absolutely love it, but when it comes to brewing, I'm a summer guy now. I had to move everything from my pretty awesome "brewing room" to the small section that is left behind my garage door. We had to turn our garage (previously my brew room) into a third bedroom. So basically, I'm brewing outside now. It actually went smoothly yesterday when I did it for the first time.

You have no room for a small dorm-style fridge? You can easily ferment 5 gallon batches at a range of temperatures with one of those.

NYC,

While saisons are delicious, I'd like a nice freezing, snowy, ice filled winter.

I'll slip in front of many people during the morning commute. I'll even give you three solid, head hurting falls.

Just give me some weather that I can brew my favorite pale ale in. Or if you'll bless it, experiment with my new all grain setup.

I'll layer up, do what you do best.

And when the end of the year rolls around, give me a huge raise so I can afford to run my AC all day & night and brew something new during the summer.

With love,
A hard working homebrewer.

Hey bud, 6 months ago I heard you bitching about the snow so I brought the high heat of summer for you. Are you never satisfied?

- GOD​

You should move over here my friend (Finland). Hasn't been over 73*F here yet this year. And they were forecasting snow up north.

I already have a kegorator, and in an NYC apartment I already get enough **** from SWMBO for how much brewing gear I have. Sadly, the second fridge for fermenting isn't going to fly. So I'm stuck with saisons for the moment.

I'm using a big Styrofoam cooler and ice bottles for my 2.5 gallon batches. All I can do right now but it works! Keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a good deal on an old upright freezer. Then a Johnson control.. Then... Well heck, it may be winter again before I get setup! LOL

Can't you use the kegerator for fermentation? Or is there not enough room? You only need it for about 2 weeks, if that.

I already have a kegorator, and in an NYC apartment I already get enough **** from SWMBO for how much brewing gear I have. Sadly, the second fridge for fermenting isn't going to fly. So I'm stuck with saisons for the moment.

Swamp cooler?

It's a bit cooler here in the hudson Valley than it is in NYC. My basement brew space has been holding at 71 degrees or less through the heat wave.

I'm going to have to agree with 'bring on the winter weather.' I didn't think my basement could even get this warm. The swamp cooler temps are no where near stable. I just researched a SOFC that might become a reality next weekend.

My pipeline is usually pretty full so the kegorator is always full. The tub for a swamp cooler is another piece of equipment SWMBO can give me **** about, and after just stepping up to all grain, she isn't too pleased. So I'll be a seasonal brewer, saisons in the summer, everything else in the fall / winter / spring. And I'll be bottling more both in the summer and in the winter. That way when I want a saison in the winter, there it is. And when I want a delicious (insert anything other than saisons here) in the summer, there it is.

Since it's been raining every day this week and we only got to 90 once (very rare in July) my groundwater might be below 81. Wooohooo, I might be able to cool this Sunday's brew down to 78 or 79 with the chiller.
Well, I have to be excited about something!

Time to step it up... It's pretty much mandatory here in SC for the hot summers:

vggzub.jpg

Last batch fermenting at 66F, and the rest are aging a bit.

MC

Great news, since we' ve had rain all week and didn't get into the 90's except one day, my tap water is down from 81 to 79!
Seriously, I was going to brew tomorrow but I'm making time tonite when it's a bit cooler. My A/C is working overtime with the humidity and my last bill was over $200 and this month I know it'll be nearer to $300. Where's technology bringing my bill down and making it easier to cool.

Damn sun spots!

Back