LHBS prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedaler

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just wondering what the prices were like at your LHBS. The one I use, Blockader Homebrew Supply in Athens, GA, has the following prices.

$1.50 per pound of grain, but if you buy 10+ lbs then its only $1.25/lb
This includes all types of grain.

Its been a while since I did extract, but I believe 6 lbs of liquid extract is like $18, and 3 lbs DME is $13. The liquid is for the extract in the plastic jugs.

$1.25/oz for domestic hop pellets, $1.75 for imported

$5 for wyeast labs yeast, I think its about $2 for dry yeast.

These prices seem good to me compared to online stores, especially since you don't have to pay shipping. It is a small store, but the owner is always there and is very helpful. You also get to mill the grain yourself if you want!

Any time that you have comparable prices to online, definitely support that local business. Even if something is a bit more expensive, if you build a good relationship with the owner that can prove good on your end in the long run (like if you ever get to the place where you want to buy bulk grain, he'll probably give you a good price). My 'local' HBS is over 45 minutes away so needless to say it was not 'local' enough. Still I do give him business from time to time. I bought my BB through him, etc.

pretty fair prices. I think my lhbs just raised their prices on their grains to 1.50/lb. I buy stuff online sometimes but try to give the lhbs as much business as i can.

Unfortunately not only is my LHBS expensive, but the guys there don't give a rats ass about local customers

Anyhow they charge $20 for 6.6lb of LME
$4 per lb of DME and about $1.60 per lb of crushed grain. The only plus side to visiting them is they have 400+ bottled beers in their fridges.. Expensive though...

Those prices definately seem fair - some a little more than I pay locally, some a little less. Support the local guy if you can (and if he deserves it).

I go to Larry's in Kent, WA.

Hops: 99¢/oz whole or pellet
Base Malt: 1.00/lb
Specialty Malt: 1.25/lb
LME: 2.00/lb

You also get 5% off if you're a club member. They supply a lot of the local brewpubs so there's quite a bit of volume going through.

Wow Pabst those are really cheap prices. Yeah I'm pretty lucky with my store, hes the only one around for about 80 or so miles (you have to go into atlanta pretty much to find any other stores, but I've heard there are quite a few good ones there).

thedaler said:
Wow Pabst those are really cheap prices.

Yeah, Larry's is awesome. I have three other shops within driving distance, but Larry's is the closest, and in my mind, the best of the four that are near me. The staff is friendly, they definitely know their stuff, and the selection is good. You might have to do a little research for any given recipe, as the are exclusive with Wyeast, and do not carry White Labs, and all of their LMD and most of their DME is Briess, but that is the single biggest complaint I have.

Well, that, and the website really does suck... but that a minor issue.

Ha ha. I saw those prices and I was like WOW!! How the hell is the guy still in business?

Then I thought to check the date...

I doubt anyone is seeing prices like that anymore.

My local homebrew store is a rip off. I don't think they are too worried about customer loyalty either. Here are their prices and a link to their online webspace:

Base Malts by the pound $2.50 - $2.95
DME by the pound $4.95
LME by the can $14.95
hops by the oz $2.95 and $3.95 for cascades
http://www.liquidhobby.com/

My LHBS has fair prices for most things (Corny's are like 40 bucks......I passed and got two for 35 at a Cournty wines in Pitt) But they have NO motivation to keep anything but yeast in stock. they run out of everything but grain base malts for Months on end. I now only buy yeast from them, plus odds and ends that I dont want to ship.
I wish like hell that I had a LHBS like the ones I order from. It's frustrating to talk to these guys on the phone who are so helpful and pationate- and My guys act like I got the flu and want a hug.

Grain prices just went up, which means extract prices went up. This is evidant at my LHBS. A 55 pound sack of Marris Otter went from $55 to $65 this weekend and pellet hop prices are at $3 an ounce. :)

LME is 15.00 for 3 lbs

Imported Hops: $2.00 Pellet $4.00 Whole
Domestic: $1.50 pellets $3.00 Whole

DME $ 5.00 for 1 KG
Grains $2.00 lbs

Sounds like my LHBS is about in the middle:

Base grains: $1.30
Specialty grains: $2.00
Hops: Domestic $1.50
Imported $2.50
Liquid Yeast: $5.99

I can't complain about the prices at my LHBS.

Base and crystal grains: $1.39/lb ($1.20/lb over 10lbs)
specialty grains: $1.59/lb
dry yeast: $1.39-$1.49
liquid yeast: $6.98
hops: $1.19-$1.89/oz of pellets

and 10% off by joining the "club" by paying $5...made back my $5 investment and then some after two trips to the store.

50lb bags of base grain are $44, so once I get a mill, I'm going to hopefully buy bags from midwest supplies when I'm in the Mpls area, bags are only $29.95 there.

The owner of my LHBS is awesome though, very friendly and talks about brewing beer if the store isn't crowded. Unfortunately, the store is geared more towards wine and they don't carry any kegging equipment.

Mine has about the same prices I'm seeing from ya'll. BUT it's just the corner of the international grocery store, so it's regularly out of stock of must have items (ya know like HOPS), no one ever knows when a new shipment is coming, and the overall selection SUCKS! I keep thinking that I should go tell the manager that he needs to hire me so I can save the brew section;)

Back