Fridge top as a stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castawayales

Reaction score
It occurred to me that the top of my fridge (Outside) is almost constantly vibrating and warm. Where would that stand in the stir plate technology?

I am thinking that it would get results better intermittent shaking but less effective than using a stir plate. Maybe split the difference. There isn't a stir bar, but a lot of agitation.

Thoughts?

Hmm...it depends on how much you mean by vibrating. Your goal is to get the surface liquid to circulate around. If you're getting that, it doesn't need to be a raging vortex or anything. If you can see movement in the liquid, I suspect that would be sufficient.

I like where you are going with it but the only concern I would be worried about is the air coming out the back would make me nervous with air circulation that may contain dust or unwanted particles that could find its way inside the starter. The book Yeast says to keep it away from any drafts or windows. I keep my starters in a pot with a perferated insert inverted on top for ventilation. Everytime I walk into the kitchen I shake it a bit to keep things moving. This also keeps SWMBO from touching anything :)

For the record I know nothing about stir plates other than they work great for starters.

Back