slow pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikelso

Reaction score
First keg is in the fridge right now and after going through some motions to force carb it, we're noticing it's really f'n slow coming out of the tap. It's an IPA that was dryhopped in a secondary, and then siphoned from secondary to keg. During that keg transfer, a good deal of the pellet hops leafs got into the keg. I figured no big deal, I would just let it all crash to the bottom and then it would all come out.

2 days after being kegged we're having some troubles with the beer coming out very slowly. It would take about 1 and a half mins to fill a pint. There's a ton of bubbles in the beer line. I'm guessing that maybe the dip tube is clogged but I thought this type of stuff would just push through with enough pressure. I've tried it at about 10psi, and 30 psi, both settings are just as slow.

Seeing as I'm new to this kegging thing, I'm always thinking I'm doing something wrong, so any ideas on what it might be this time?

First keg is in the fridge right now and after going through some motions to force carb it, we're noticing it's really f'n slow coming out of the tap. It's an IPA that was dryhopped in a secondary, and then siphoned from secondary to keg. During that keg transfer, a good deal of the pellet hops leafs got into the keg. I figured no big deal, I would just let it all crash to the bottom and then it would all come out.

2 days after being kegged we're having some troubles with the beer coming out very slowly. It would take about 1 and a half mins to fill a pint. There's a ton of bubbles in the beer line. I'm guessing that maybe the dip tube is clogged but I thought this type of stuff would just push through with enough pressure. I've tried it at about 10psi, and 30 psi, both settings are just as slow.

Seeing as I'm new to this kegging thing, I'm always thinking I'm doing something wrong, so any ideas on what it might be this time?

It definitely sounds like your diptube is clogged. If not the tube itself, then the poppit valve in the top of the post. I'd purge the co2 and pull out the "out" diptube and clean it out. I'd also take about the post and the poppit and clean that out. Resanitize and put it back together. That should solve the problem.

I have a cherry wheat that I managed to get cherries into the keg. The diptube gets clogged with cherry bits and I get the exact symptoms you mention.

I put a liquid connector onto a CO2 line, attach to the liquid out, and give it a 30psi blast when the diptube gets clogged. Then, purge the keg and reset at the proper psi for serving.

You may have to do that from time to time.

:mug:

Also once you clean the poppet and dip tube, sanatize a nylon hop bag or a portion of cheese cloth and zip tie it to the bottom of the tube to act as a mini filter to keep the particles from clogging again...

I put a liquid connector onto a CO2 line, attach to the liquid out, and give it a 30psi blast when the diptube gets clogged. Then, purge the keg and reset at the proper psi for serving.

I'm glad you mentioned this... cause now I feel dumb. I went to look at the regulator and swap the lines etc, and realized the little valve on the gas line was turned off. I guess I did this after trying to force carb it and totally forgot to turn it back on.

Flow is back now, but my carb is probably way off.

Latest posts

Back