Help! Dont know if i found a root or bine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmiller224

Reaction score
I was looking at my nugget hops today some which have started to grow some not. And I dug a little bit down to one and found what I thought was a bine that was just going down instead of up. It was fully buried when I planted it. This is what it looks like I'm not holding it up I'm just using my hand to get the right color. What do you think? It looks like it has a tip and leaves on it but I could be wrong

image-1197221598.jpg

image-49433444.jpg

image-3225248497.jpg

New shoot. It'll grow into a bine and make hops for you. It's a good thing.

They sometimes act funny when they're young. Within a week or so it would have been reaching for the sun on it's own so 'no', it doesn't matter.

"Sooo it's a root that sends up a new bind??"

Actually, it's more like a bine (stem) that grows under the ground. Roots don't have nodes to send up bines. Runners have nodes and can create both roots and bines. Because of this, they are super easy to propagate. Simply cut them off and place in moist soil. BOOM, new hops plant.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolon

If you have room for another plant, or know someone who does... well, that seems like a really easy question to answer.

dmiller224, why would you want to replant it? It's already established and is growing well on it's own. Some varieties seem to do this more than others. It is a growing shoot and will come to it's senses and begin reaching for the sun (if it ever comes out) when it's ready. Not to mention that there are usually many more to follow in the weeks to come. One factor that seems to contribute to this is that if you have a few inches of mulch on top of them when the first growth starts to push, they may begin growing in different directions in search of light. The pale color of the stem is usually an indication of a lack of chlorophyll and now that it's exposed to some light it will very shortly begin to unfurl it's leaves and then it's off to the races. You'll be fine.

Just a little update this what It looks like since its been out! Guess you guys were right haha

image-1325532423.jpg

Back