New Year, New Beer Challenge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrodm

Reaction score
OK folks:

I was just thinking about what I want to brew on New Year's Day, and it occurred to me, what better way to start off the year than by brewing something you've never done before? My plan is to do a Belgian partigyle--a tripel with the first runnings and a saison with the second. I ginned up a draft recipe (here), if anyone has thoughts, let me know.

What about everyone else? Who is willing to try something new to start the year off? What's the beer you're going to try for the first time on Jan. 1st?

Cheers

It may not be on Jan 1 (possibly just before -- depending on the Family's schedule), but I got the ingredients (including 2 lbs of that D-180) for a Belgian Dark Strong. My Belgian Golden Strong finished too sweet, so I have to find a way to keep this one at 80+ in my < 60 basement.

So . . . my goal is to finish a two-stage fermentation chamber during the Christmas holiday (I'm taking / getting 11 days off in a row this year). I don't know if I'll have time to do it all w/ the holidays going on too, but I'll give it my best effort. . .

I tend to make big beers that require bit of aging around this time of year.

Last year on new year's day, I brewed my first wee heavy that turned out extremely well and won a gold in Scottish ales.

This time around I am eyeing the 2L starter I made a while back for a club Old Ale that we never used, and thinking I might design a recipe for an Old Ale or maybe an English Barleywine to use that starter.

It may not be on Jan 1 (possibly just before -- depending on the Family's schedule), but I got the ingredients (including 2 lbs of that D-180) for a Belgian Dark Strong. My Belgian Golden Strong finished too sweet, so I have to find a way to keep this one at 80+ in my < 60 basement.

So . . . my goal is to finish a two-stage fermentation chamber during the Christmas holiday (I'm taking / getting 11 days off in a row this year). I don't know if I'll have time to do it all w/ the holidays going on too, but I'll give it my best effort. . .

I use this to warm my fermentors and it works great: FlexWatt and it's easy to make your own in any size you want.

Good luck, my Belgian Dark Strong came out a little too sweet but I'm hoping time will have a positive effect on it.

My Belgian Golden Strong finished too sweet, so I have to find a way to keep this one at 80+ in my < 60 basement.

That sounds like a challenge. Have you used a heat blanket or a belt before? Looks like you're going to be a nervous papa in the ICU for a while...

I have a brew belt, which works well but only gives you about 15 degrees.

My plan is to build the Son of a Fermentation Chamber and mod a heating element (light-bulb + paint can or ceramic heating bulb) into it. Both the temp control (STC-1000 -- which I've done before) and chamber look like quick and easy builds. Sourcing parts is usually the hard part.

(edit)...in fact, using the brew belt inside the "Son of a" could be enough boost to reach my desired temps!!

I have a brew belt, which works well but only gives you about 15 degrees.

My plan is to build the Son of a Fermentation Chamber and mod a heating element (light-bulb + paint can or ceramic heating bulb) into it. Both the temp control (STC-1000 -- which I've done before) and chamber look like quick and easy builds. Sourcing parts is usually the hard part.

(edit)...in fact, using the brew belt inside the "Son of a" could be enough boost to reach my desired temps!!

Might I suggest you just wrap a blanket or sleeping bag around your fermenter (with brew belt on it) to provide the insulation?

I've been wanting to do a big ass beer and a barleywine or a dopplebock would be just the thing for that. Both are styles I have never done before.

Might I suggest you just wrap a blanket or sleeping bag around your fermenter (with brew belt on it) to provide the insulation?

Will that get me to 80+? The belt alone gets me from 65-75 (depending on just how cold it gets -- it will reach 52 in the dead of winter). Otherwise it's time to think about brewing some lagers.

The chamber looks easy to build and < $50 . . . I already have all the parts for temp control and this will improve *all* my beers (winter and summer, especially).

I and four of my friends are doing a 60gal Barleywine that will go into my Buffalo Trace Barrel for 4 to 5 months. Can't wait

Update--I brewed my Belgian partigyle yesterday, and I think it came out great. Hit my volume and gravity targets almost right on the money, although I did forget to add the candi sugar to the saison until after the boil was over--I ended up boiling it separately and adding to the fermenter. I decided I'm going to buy some champagne bottles and do corks and cages for the tripel, hopefully it will be delicious when we open it for next year's NYE party! Anyone else brew a special New Year beer? Results?

I brewed a barleywine yesterday. Went well all things considered. With the ginormous grain bill I calculated for 65% efficiency and ended up getting closer to 60%. It's still going to clock in at a hefty 9.4% ABV and I am really looking forward to giving it a try in about 6 months followed by slowly drinking it over the years on special occasions.

I use the beginning of the year to brew something I always brew: a maibock. In the fermenter the first week of January and ready by April.

Back