digital thermometer recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use this one and recommend it as well.

+1
I just picked this up about a week ago at Meijer for about $18. I used it last weekend and it is great. The ability to calibrate is nice (although I didn't have to - read 32.1 in crushed ice water right out of the box). I only wish the probe was a little longer, but none of the digital thermometers I looked at had one any longer.

+1
I just picked this up about a week ago at Meijer for about $18. I used it last weekend and it is great. The ability to calibrate is nice (although I didn't have to - read 32.1 in crushed ice water right out of the box). I only wish the probe was a little longer, but none of the digital thermometers I looked at had one any longer.

Thanks, I was wondering if Meijer had it. Now I know!

I like using these. They are for cooking roasts in the oven. You would have to 'wort-proof' the probe though...Bobby_M thought of a clever (yet slightly difficult) way to do that and there is a big thread about it. I actually only use the inner o-ring and it's sealed fine for several brews. It's also nice because it has magnets on the back so I can put the probe in my keezer or lager fridge and then just stick the display on the side of the fridge. That's actually where both of mine stay (or monitoring an ale fermentation chamber...aka bathtub :)) until brewday. It also works great to monitor beer fermentation temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got this one from Midwest...it's 25 bucks but very convenient and "instant". I put velcro tape on it, and on various pieces of my brew equipment so I can handily stick the unit there and the long probe makes it easy to use.

Digital Thermometer w/Probe :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I've also got a one piece digital that I got at a yard sale a long time ago.....

For temp monitoring of my fermentation freezer and lagering fridge I bought these remote wireless thermometers from Wal Mart. I put the remotes in the freezer and the fridge.......and the base unit is on the door of my beer room so that I can see the temp without even walking in the room. It's also programmeable to alarm over or under specified temps. Very handy.

It's similar to this one without the clock, and it's only 9 bucks.

Walmart.com: Springfield Basic 3-Channel Radio Frequency Thermometer: Lawn & Garden

This is primarily used for my long shoulder smokes, but I got another set of thermometers for brewing.

Amazon.com: Maverick RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer: Home & Garden

I put the remote one in the HLT and set the alarm for my target temp and then use the other for my MLT. Having a high AND low temp alarm is a big help.

But of course, I'm too paranoid to trust just one termometer, so I keep this one in my pocket and double/triple check if I've actually hit my temps.

Amazon.com: Taylor #806 Weekend Warrior Digital Instant Read Thermometer: Home & Garden

I love the Taylor. Had it a couple years now and it's the best $15 I ever spent.

thanks. I like the looks of this one (suggested by springer):

Handheld Thermocouple Meters And Cole-Parmer Remote-Monitoring Thermocouple Thermometer - Cole-Parmer Catalog

The long wire probe would be perfect for monitoring the mash temp in my 48qt cooler mash tun with the lid shut.

I plan on using mine with the 10 gallon Igloo , just be forewarned that I went threw 3 units all with the wrong probe they keep sending me a fiberglass cloth probe. Control Company the makers of the unit also have other distributors I would try some of them.

Over your budget I think, but I got this on sale (combo probe/IR):

ThermoWorks – Combo Thermapen - Infrared + Thermocouple Probe Thermometer

Only used it once so far on my last batch, but it seems to work very well, and the digital readout is very fast. I checked it against my lab thermometer at various temperatures and it was dead-on. The infrared is actually pretty cool too, but I still don't trust it so long as I'm able to use the probe...

+1

+2...this is the one i have too.

i gotta get something, right now I have this one and it is a real POS:
Kitchen Cooking Thermometer And Timer Digital by Polder Home Tools: POTHM-362-86 Shop At Clares

I have been through two probes. If ANY moisture gets up around the where probe meets the wire, the probe gets ruined and loses all accuracy. I need something waterproof, digital, and with with a long wire probe.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
You can often bake the probe to dry it out and make it reasonably accurate again. I orig 'wort-proofed' mine using silicone tubing and o-rings (there's a thread around here) but the wire worked it's way loose and now I just have some heat-shrink tubing at the probe/wire joint. It's not submergable but I'd call it 'splash-proof'.

I have the waterproof Taylor and don't like it. There is no auto-shutoff and I feel I have to put a new battery in the thing almost every time I brew. I think a button accidentally gets pressed during storage and it just drains.

I have the waterproof Taylor and don't like it. There is no auto-shutoff and I feel I have to put a new battery in the thing almost every time I brew. I think a button accidentally gets pressed during storage and it just drains.

I believe mine auto shuts off and I've only replaced the battery once in a year.

Sometimes i need to pull out and reseat the battery if it starts acting up.

I have the taylor waterproof and I still like it. It has a calibration knob and it holds accuracy pretty well.

The downside is that the display is small and there is no hold button.

If I were buying today, I'd get this CDN one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00064BCPM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Similar price but larger display and it has a hold feature.

I bit the bullet a while ago and bought the Thermapen after dropping my floating thermometer, and then destroying the electronics of my probe thermometer. I know it's expensive, but it's splashproof, and it takes about 3-5 secs to take a reading.

Back