A conversation with SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman

Reaction score
So, just before we fell asleep last night, SMBO and I had the following conversation:

SWMBO: So, are all those bottles you cleaned ready for when the beer's done fermenting?

Me: No, they'll have to be sanitized before I bottle them.

SWMBO: How?

Me: Well, I'll put them in the over at 250 for about an hour and a half, let them cool, then cover the opening with foil.

SWMBO: Will you have enough bottles for both batches?

Me: I think so.

SWMBO: Well, I guess you can buy more empty bottles if you don't right?

Me: Yeah, and if I'm real lucky, I may find some bottles with beer already in them!

SWMBO: *cracks up then punches me in the arm* Ass!

Just thought I'd share :)

Funny...but you're not REALLY gonna go the oven sanitization route are you?

Such a waste of gas/or electricity...just get a vinator and some no-rinse and be done with it...

:D

Such a waste of gas/or electricity...just get a vinator and some no-rinse and be done with it...

+1

Wash the glas in the dishwasher (assuming you have already removed any interior grunge) and spritz some StarSan down the bottles throat.

Hm, that would give me a reason to go to the LHBS... I also need some PBW and Star San. And some priming sugar and caps. And to see if they sell better bottles.

Skip the pbw and go get oxyclean...cheaper and imho works much better...save the extra couple bucks and buy a sixpack...er I mean do a quick bottle re-stock. :D

oxyclean.jpg

Thanks for the tip(s)!

Also, buying beer was a foregone conclusion. I mean, really, what do you take me for? :p

I cant understand why anyone would go buy empty beer bottles, especially at the current prices. To me its almost like buying used condoms......a waste of money and someone already did the fun part.

I cant understand why anyone would go buy empty beer bottles, especially at the current prices. To me its almost like buying used condoms......a waste of money and someone already did the fun part.

+1

i've also noticed that the ones from the lhbs that I got with my kit seem thinner in comparison to the ones I've acumulated...plus the previously used ones are darker as well...And some of them, like the Bud Amer Ale are really nifty looking.

+1

i've also noticed that the ones from the lhbs that I got with my kit seem thinner in comparison to the ones I've acumulated...plus the previously used ones are darker as well...And some of them, like the Bud Amer Ale are really nifty looking.

+1 to that! the empty ones definitely look like cheaper bottles ie thinner and lighter colored.

i was in a tight place and had to buy some the other day because my stock wasnt good enough and i wouldnt have had to drink tooo much, as i had 2 5 gallon batches to bottle within 2 days. i bought bottles.....but i have so many homebrews and others aroudn now i think im good.....i also am thinking...Get a bench capper? so i can cap screw offs

I've never re-capped a screwtop bottle, but the bench capper is worth its weight in gold. FYI I'd clamp it down to the bench when using it....much easier.

On kansas city craigslist you can buy kolsh flip tops for $2 a bottle. Or you can buy them full for almost the same.

Decisions, decisions.

I have this feeling Revvy and I are competing for the largest collection of Bud American Ale bottles in all of Michigan. ;)

Good story from the OP. One day I hope to find a woman that will put up with my **** long enough to say the longest sentence in the English Language ( "I do." lol!!) and is cool about home brewing.

I am going to cut against the grain....

I have sworn off oxi and am going back to PBW. I think it is a vastly superior product. It is much more effective and 10 times easier to rinse off.

Also, I oven sanitize. You should wrap the tin foil around the bottle tops first thought, before you put them in the oven. That way when they cool, you just pull them out and box them for storage. Many will give you crap about this, but I suspect they have never tried it. To each his or her own.

In addition, I just put my oven on its lowest setting. You don't need to sterilize, sanitizing is good enough and presents less stress to the bottles.

I am going to cut against the grain....

I have sworn off oxi and am going back to PBW. I think it is a vastly superior product. It is much more effective and 10 times easier to rinse off.

Also, I oven sanitize. You should wrap the tin foil around the bottle tops first thought, before you put them in the oven. That way when they cool, you just pull them out and box them for storage. Many will give you crap about this, but I suspect they have never tried it. To each his or her own.

In addition, I just put my oven on its lowest setting. You don't need to sterilize, sanitizing is good enough and presents less stress to the bottles.

How long do you sanitize for?

Back