What size C02 tank is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Reaction score
I found one of these local and it looks bigger than 50lbs. Any ideas on the size of this?

edit: I am also wondering if this is even a C02 tank since the guy doesn't really know what it is.

2hq45qx.jpg

If you can screw a co2 regulator on it, then it should be a Co2 tank. Different gases have different threads I believe.

I would say 50lbs is probably pretty close.

Bytor1100 said:
If you can screw a co2 regulator on it, then it should be a Co2 tank. Different gases have different threads I believe.

I would say 50lbs is probably pretty close.

50# CO2 tanks are the same diameter as 20#, just taller with a big metal cap covering the valve.

Here's a 100# propane tank.

Propane%20Tank.JPG

I don't doubt thats what it is since the guy I talked to didn't have a clue as to what it was. I guess it doesn't matter at this point because I got a call from another guy a few minutes ago and I'm buying a 50lb CO2 tank later today. This guy at least knows it came from an old soda system.

now If I can just get the local gas supplier to trade me a couple 10lb tanks for it, I'm in business.

stever said:
I don't doubt thats what it is since the guy I talked to didn't have a clue as to what it was. I guess it doesn't matter at this point because I got a call from another guy a few minutes ago and I'm buying a 50lb CO2 tank later today. This guy at least knows it came from an old soda system.

now If I can just get the local gas supplier to trade me a couple 10lb tanks for it, I'm in business.

If you can handle the thing you could probably get a better deal on gas buying it at that level rather than in 10 or 20 lb. increments.

I know I get a much better deal when I have them fill up my large tank. But I always ask for a discount on large volumes. They charge a lot more to fill up small tanks around here than they charge to fill up large ones. Your area or supplier may be different.

For that matter they'd also likely come out to your place and fill it up for you but I'm pretty sure you won't get a discount if they bring the gas to you.

stever said:

i believe you're gonna want a couple 20 lb tanks, not 10 lb tanks.

I didn't want to drill my fridge so that is why I was thinking of going with some smaller tanks so I could fit them in my fridge. And since I am just starting and would only have a couple 5 gallon kegs I figured a 10lb tank would last me a while.

Back