Pitch temp 29 Celsius? Implications?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phynes1

Reaction score
Hi,

I brewed my first non-kit batch last night, and I completely miscalculated the final temp. I ended up pitching white labs Irish ale yeast @ 29C. This happened around 9pm last night. I had a look in the fermenter this morning, and there seems to be activity, temp is now @ 22C. What are the implications of the high pitch temp?

I already have a prevention in mind.

PH.

Hi,

I brewed my first non-kit batch last night, and I completely miscalculated the final temp. I ended up pitching white labs Irish ale yeast @ 29C. This happened around 9pm last night. I had a look in the fermenter this morning, and there seems to be activity, temp is now @ 22C. What are the implications of the high pitch temp?

I already have a prevention in mind.

PH.

Your fine. If I.had seen no activity by morning I would be worried. Im guessing you made no starter. Just pitched directly from packet. Im as also assuming it wasn't a."big" beer and was less than 5 gallons. If you start to see.major activity before tomorrow I would make sure you dont blow the top and put a blow off tube in place as well :mug: welcome to the wonderful world of homebrew!!

You pitched at bout 84 Fahrenheit. So that's a lil high. But the worst that could have h as happened is you killed off some yeast cells. If your too worried re pitch now. If you have seen activity you may just have a slow start. Unless its a big beer then your cells may stress causing a stuck fermentation

How much yeast did you pitch for how big a batch? Where are you measuring temp ambient or wort temp? 29° was too high to pitch, 22° is high for that strain during ferment. 20° is the high end for that yeast.

Pitched 1 vial of white labs irish ale! 23l OG 1.047. Was measuring wort temp.

Checked again there and fermenter is bubbling away. Seems to be working anyway. Is it that my high pitch temp may affect the end product?

Without knowing what flavor profile you're seeking from your yeast: Most likely, yes, pitching at that high temp (beyond the recommended range from WL) will lead to some off flavors. Those off flavors may, or may not be, significant while drinking the final product - you'll just have to wait and see what comes.

Remember, the key practices that lead to successful brewing are:

• Sanitation
  • Temp control
  • Yeast Health
  • Ingredient Quality Control (including water)

Back