Fruit Beer Clemifornia Commontine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 2112 California Lager
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60 minutes
IBU
Color
10.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Tasting Notes
Nice orange taste in the background.
8.45 lb Domestic (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.10 lb Munich Malt (7.0 SRM)
0.88 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.44 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.11 lb Pale Chocolate (200.0 SRM)
1oz. Sweet Orange Peel (5 min boil )

.70 oz Citra [13.50 %] (60 min)

1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.98 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.47 qt of water at 161.0 F 152.0 F

Notes:
------
8 - 12 Clementines, peeled - used 12
Heat fruit meat in 1/2 gallon of water to 160F and cool immediately.
Add liquid and solids to primary fermenter.Smashed the fruit to break the skin
Ferment @ 60F.
Moved to secondary and added the zest of two navel oranges for 14 days.

I can't take credit for designing this as it's from an episode of brew tv that Chip Walton did. Except he did an extract version which you can find here.This is basically Jamil's California Common recipe except I cut back on the hops to let the Clementine flavor come through.Clementines are seasonal during the winter but mandarin oranges which they are in the same family and available now would probably work just as well. I really like the way the orange flavor goes with this style.I used a bucket for primary as it made adding the fruit easier. Before racking to secondary I used a sanatized slotted spoon to scoop out the chunks and smashed them with another spoon to get out the juice. A colander may work better and be easier though.

I'm glad someone converted this to all grain and brewed it. I've been interested in this recipe since I saw the episode of BrewingTV. I will be brewing this in the future. Let us know how it turned out.

I'm really happy with the results.

clemp.jpg

Before

r0010058.jpg

After

Made another batch of this yesterday as time is running out on clementine season. Things went well except I forgot I wanted to try Citra or Amarillo hops this time around. I had NB hops in the freezer already so I just went with those.I used 14 clementines this time around.

How did you account for adding the orange juice to the primary with respect to gravity? Did you account for that .5 gallons in your expected finishing volume of 5.5 gallons? or did you add that to the 5.5 gallons of wort? I'd imagine this would lower the gravity a little bit. Sounds great, and i really want to try it, but have been thinking about how to get it to work out.

You bring up a good point.I just added it on top of the 5.5 gallons. I suppose I should of took an og reading afterwords to be more accurate on the abv but as you say I don't think it would make too much of a difference. I'll have to remember to do that next time though. Or it may even be something to experiment with to see how it effects the flavor.

I too am glad to see this recipe living on in different variations. I want to make it again this year in all-grain form!
Cheers, y'all!
Chip @ Chop & Brew

Back