In Beersmith is Pilsner DME the same as Extra Light DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyc

Reaction score
Trying to put my Oktoberfest recipe in Beersmith to compare it against the style and didn't want to selelct Pilsner LME b/c the color can vary/change. Will someone who's more familiar with Beersmith check my recipe to check how it conforms? Opinions on the recipe are welcome too :) Should I steep the grains longer if I need to darken the color?

5.5 gallon boil
10 oz Caramunich
8 oz Vienna
2 oz Victory
Steep at 160* 30 min
6 lbs Pilsner DME (60 min)
1.00 oz Vanguard [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops
.5 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (20 min) Hops
.5 oz Hallertauer [3.20 %] (1 min) Hops
WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch Yeast-Ale Smack-pack

Yes Pilsner DME - XLight DME...

Good recipe.. I guess I need to plan for a Marzen soon.. it does take awhile to ferment and age this guy.

It's not really the same, but it works the same for BeerSmith purposes. Extra Light DME is nothing but domestic 2-row, light DME has a little Crystal in it, amber DME has some Munich and crystal, and dark DME has roasted grains, crystal, Munich, you name it.

Pilsner DME is just pilsen malt, but it has about the same numbers as the Extra Light, so it gives about the same outcome in the BeerSmith calculations, and this recipe should probably have the Pilsner DME anyway (it is German after all). You can add anything you want to the BeerSmith inventory list as well.

It's not really the same, but it works the same for BeerSmith purposes. Extra Light DME is nothing but domestic 2-row, light DME has a little Crystal in it, amber DME has some Munich and crystal, and dark DME has roasted grains, crystal, Munich, you name it.

Pilsner DME is just pilsen malt, but it has about the same numbers as the Extra Light, so it gives about the same outcome in the BeerSmith calculations, and this recipe should probably have the Pilsner DME anyway (it is German after all). You can add anything you want to the BeerSmith inventory list as well.

According to Beersmith the srm is around 10, if I wanted to go darker would steeping the grains longer work?

Back