new glarus black top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
I've been thinking about putting together a clone recipe for this. The hops seem to be similar to moon man but does anyone have any ideas for the grain bill?

My moon man recipe uses motueka, amarillo, citra, simcoe, and pac gem.

Don't have a black top clone but would be interested in your moon man clone recipe if you would like to share?

Sure no problem. I haven't done it since I have gone all grain. In my partial mash recipe I used 4 lbs 2 row and 3 lbs light dme so was thinking about 9 pounds of 2 row in the all grain recipe.

9 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 20 L

Hop blend:
.2 motueka
.2 amarillo
.1 citra
.1 simcoe
.1 pacman gem
I add the blend at 30, 10, 5, 2, and 0 min. And I dry hop with double the hop blend.

American ale 1056

As far as Black Top goes, I'd shoot for ~7% ABV with 40 IBUs. It's probably a restrained version on the style which may account for its popularity. I'm not sure what dark grain you'd use for the color and roast/chocolate (Black, Chocolate, dehusked Carafa) but you could take the name of the beer "Black Top" quite literally as the addition of your dark malt "on top" of the mash (if doing all-grain or partial) after it is completed. In other words, you would mash your other grains as usual and at the end of the prescribed time, add your dark malts, and drain/sparge as usual. You may also choose to "cold steep" your dark malts overnight on the side and add to your wort before or during your boil. There are a lot of ways to experiment with this, and it all depends on your tastes.

As for the hops/recipe, I'd start with jwm's recipe for Moon Man if you have access to those hops and add about 5% dark malt. Keep it simple. I don't remember it being a terribly black beer but definitely darker than a brown. There is a definite tropical fruit nose/flavor to the beer so use hops that harbor that quality.

*EDIT* Some further searching suggests that Chinook, Amarillo and Citra are used. If I was making this I'd tend to favor heavier late additions, perhaps a blend of all three, the ratio up to you! I got more Citra in the nose.

I've also read somewhere that they add the dark malt at the end of the mash. With how much time left in the mash do you think the dark malt should be added?

I've never done it myself. I batch sparge so I could see adding the grains to my mash after I've collected my first runnings or 5 minutes before. Add grains, add sparge water, mix, let sit for a bit or not, then drain. It cannot be much different from steeping grains in extract batches, and I know when I've done those, color begins to be extracted almost immediately.

I was at a beer tasting a couple weeks ago but couldn't get anything out of the guy that was there from new glarus. They really don't like to talk about there brews.

So here is what I have to start with. Any suggestions?

13 lb 2 row
1 lb crystal 40 L
.75 lb chocolate added late in mash or during sparge

Hop blend:
.33 citra
.33 amarillo
.33 chinook
Added at 60, 15, 10, 5, 0 and dry hop

I tasted this beer at the Great Lakes Brewfest in Racine Wisconsin yesterday and was very impressed with the drinkable character. Will be following your thread and maybe trying a batch.

I would start with Briess Midnight Wheat as the dark malt.

from the website

Expect this beer to pour a hop forward jet black glass brimming with aromatic bitterness. Brewmaster Dan skillfully weaves molasses and chocolate malt undertones with a soaring rush of clean citrus and pine hop notes, to deliver a drinkable Black IPA

apart from the molasses and the chocolate malt I would assume hops might be simcoe and citra

I plan on making my own bipa and was going with this

9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2-Row) Canadian Malting Co (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.7 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.5 %
1 lbs Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.5 %
12.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.7 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt Pale (Thomas Fawcett) (250.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.9 %
12.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 5.7 %
0.50 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 21.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe pellet [12.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 10.3 IBUs
1.50 oz Amarillo Leaf [10.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 18.5 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade leaf [8.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 11.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Leaf [9.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 13 -
2.00 oz Cascade pellet [6.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Well I talked to one of one of the brewers and they say they use a blend of hops and i said something about 7c's hops blend and he said nothing but smiled and somewhat comforted I was right. then he said that these used lots of hops for dry hoping. for what it is worth that is what I got out of them. Good luck.

Well I talked to one of one of the brewers and they say they use a blend of hops and i said something about 7c's hops blend and he said nothing but smiled and somewhat comforted I was right. then he said that these used lots of hops for dry hoping. for what it is worth that is what I got out of them. Good luck.

What does the 7c's hops blend consist of?

I don't know but this is what I get when I look it up. I quote Blend of 7 popular "C" hop varieties Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra®, Cluster, Columbus and Crystal plus additional experimental varieties "

yes they are but I go there once a month and from time to time I fun into the brewers and get some info and I put the pieces together I am also working on this recipe. I am going to take the bike out there this weekend and hope to run into one of them and get a little info.

Back