Lower ABV Pliny Spin-off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimstuff

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the idea of doing a Pliny spin-off, with a reduced grain bill, but relatively the same amount of hops. It's my first time tailoring/designing a recipe, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

After I read this article: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf, I was really struck by Vinnie's idea of a more hop-forward version of Pliny with a reduced ABV. The reason is that I think Pliny is great, but it's still a bit boozy for me, and I'm intrigued by making an "unbalanced" yet drinkable DIPA. I am also no fan of Columbus hops. I like my hops citrusy and floral above all. I like a little pine, but not a lot. Some fruit. No resin, no heat, little spice.

So, with all that in mind, here is my work in progress:

6 gallons, 5.5 net

OG 1.057
FG 1.011

Mash: 151-152 60 mins
Sparge 170
Ferment @ 67 F
WLP001

Fermentable (same proportions as Pliny but reduced appx 38% for lower malt/ABV around 6%)

8.19 lbs 2-row
0.37 lbs Crystal 40 (I'm tempted to reduce this further... not a fan of Crystal)
0.37 lbs CaraPils
0.46 lbs Dextrose

Hops

3.50 oz Amarillo 90 mins
0.75 oz Amarillo 45 mins
1.00 oz Simcoe 30 mins
1.00 oz Centennial 0 mins
2.50 oz Simcoe 0 mins

1st Dry Hop (14 days to go)
1.00 oz Amarillo
1.00 oz Centennial
1.00 oz Simcoe

2nd Dry Hop (5 days to go)
0.25 oz Amarillo
0.25 oz Centennial
0.25 oz Simcoe

So basically, this is an exact replication of Pliny (according to the recipe Vinnie gives in the article above) but with a 38.2% reduction in the malt bill and Amarillo substituted for Columbus, according to my tastes described above.

What I want to know is, will the Amarillo be an adequate substitution, seeing as all hops appear at bittering, flavor, and aroma stages?

Also, is the reduction is the malt bill too drastic? Obviously this depends on taste, but I just don't want to be drinking Listerine.

Anyway, any other input is appreciated, since as I mentioned, this will be my first recipe.

Back