Drink Barleywines right away?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are Barleywines aged already? I just bought an AleSmith Old Numbskull barleywine. Should I wait to drink it?

Commercial barleywines are conditioned enough to drink when sold, but will get much better. Buy a sixer. Drink one, drink another every three months. Take notes.

Commercial barleywines are conditioned enough to drink when sold, but will get much better. Buy a sixer. Drink one, drink another every three months. Take notes.

Alesmith barleywine only comes in a 750ml bottle. I wish they packaged smaller, but that's how it goes.

Alesmith barleywine only comes in a 750ml bottle. I wish they packaged smaller, but that's how it goes.

Indeed. Old Numbskull is somewhat readily available so I would drink now or whenever you get around to it, and if you see potential for aging, grab another bottle...or 12.

I think for most of the recent (within the past few years) regular Alesmith stuff, you can't really tell. If it was older than that, there are some slight changes in the bottles to help identify. That's all I can tell you. If you email them, they'd probably help you out if they can. Brewers like to know people are taking wholehearted interest in their product.

Sidenote: Go find their Wee Heavy, I think it's incredible (my top10) with about 2 years on it.

Back