Adding potassium metabisulfite at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovetop535

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my first wine-a basic vinters reserve coastal white. It has been sitting for 4 months and I need to free up a carboy. The directions say to add 1.5 grams of potassium metabisulfite if you intend to age for 6+ months.

We do not drink wine very fast, so I want to go ahead and add this if it will increase how long the wine will last. Is the 1.5 grams the correct amount to add? How long can I expect this wine to last once bottled? I realize there are a number of factors that effect how long it will last. I purchased some first quality corks from the lhbs and I splurged on a ferrari champagne corker since I plan on making more wines in the future.

I don't know "grams" very well, but that does seem about right. Normally, it's 1/4 teaspoon for 6 gallons, dissolved in some water, at bottling and/or at racking. Check your package to see if it's the standard dosage, but it should be.

The directions say to add 1.5 grams of potassium metabisulfite if you intend to age for 6+ months.

I think I need to re-read my kit instructions. I thought the 6+ month statement was in reference to aging in the carboy and not in reference to aging in the bottle. I typically bottle my kits before the 6 month mark so with my interpretation of the instructions I haven't added any additional kmeta at bottling (except on one occasion).

Additional K-meta is for long-term bottle storage, however, you should add some at every other racking if it is in your carboy for aging as well. It acts as an anti-oxidant.

As long as you keep the bottles on there side and used #9 corks you shouldn't have problems with oxidation.

As long as you keep the bottles on there side and used #9 corks you shouldn't have problems with oxidation.

But corks are porous and subject to O2 permeation. That's one of the good things about them, micro-oxygenation.

Even wet corks let O2 in.

yes I am aware of this, small amounts of oxygen can improve a wine too a certain point. Red wine usually peaks at about 3 years aging and then will start to decline over time. Wine in general is not designed to be stored for centuries, even the tightest sealed bottles will break down eventually.

Latest posts

Back