Caliente hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
New brand of hops from Yakima Valley. I'm ordering a half pound to try out. Not much info out there, some think they have an incredible peach aroma, others say they're just a nondescript bittering hop. I've been looking for a hop that reaks of stone fruit, so I'm hoping this is the one.

Anyone use? Sweetwater has worked with it apparently.

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/product_p/caliente2.htm

I'm thinking of doing an experimental hop pale ale/IPA, using some Mosaic, fruity/citrusey, Belma, strawberryish/fruity, and Caliente, fruity/stonefruitish, together. maybe an English ale yeast strain also?

I would be very interested in your results. I too bought a half lb of the stuff and haven't brought myself to use then yet. I was thinking either an APA or Amber with caliente and sorachi ace, since I seemed to get some lemon/lime/pine from them.

Hmm.. we'll see. Mine are in the mail. Really hoping they work out. Worst comes to worst I guess they will be a nice bittering hop... although I'm banking on that peach-apricot flavor. Wondering what other hop I should try for that flavor... Galaxy?

Please post your results. I like reading what other people have done with new hops.

The name makes me think of a habanero chili pepper ale instead of anything fruit-like. Wonder where they got that name from.

I know... poor name. Right up there with Belma. All these new hops have poor names or they haven't caught on yet.

Any update on the results from these hops? I really want to brew with them, but I've got so many other varieties calling me to use them in my freezer that I really want to make my next brew count. I've got a citra Zombie Dust clone up next, but I was thinking of a double brew day with one of the other hops I've never used like Apollo, Caliente, etc.... Anybody use these yet with any tasting notes they'd like to share?

OCBrewin said:
Any update on the results from these hops? I really want to brew with them, but I've got so many other varieties calling me to use them in my freezer that I really want to make my next brew count. I've got a citra Zombie Dust clone up next, but I was thinking of a double brew day with one of the other hops I've never used like Apollo, Caliente, etc.... Anybody use these yet with any tasting notes they'd like to share?

Soo.... Anyone try these?

God I haven't touchéd them. Just brewed an IPA recently so that's a no. Within a month I should get around to a pale ale or something

Mine are due in tomorrow. I'm planning on doing a simple recipe with 2row, 3 or 4 oz of caliente and some 001 so I can really keep it super clean and get a clear hop profile through the brew. Bell lemme know if you do something as well.

othevad said:
Mine are due in tomorrow. I'm planning on doing a simple recipe with 2row, 3 or 4 oz of caliente and some 001 so I can really keep it super clean and get a clear hop profile through the brew. Bell lemme know if you do something as well.

Remember they are super alpha so even hop bursting with that much will cause IPA bitterness.

I couldnt do a beer with just 2 row and 001 but that's because I'm a malt head. Personal preference

Yeah, I am a hophead, but I do enjoy a good balanced IPA. I am just going to run that SMaSH in a 3 gallon batch just so I can get a good feel of what those hops are. It's all strictly in the name of science! (but I'll still drink it anyway =)

Took the first draw off of a Caliente/Columbus hopbursted IPA last night. Very nice aroma, reminiscent of Citra. Not as tropical as Citra, leans more to the stonefruit side. Lemon and lime aftertaste, blends nicely with the pine and citrus of the Columbus hops. Get a slight sulfur note in the aroma, very slight. Doesn't detract from the pleasantness of the aroma. These hops would blend nicely with some other hops, but hold up pretty well on their own. Didn't get any of the licorice notes mentioned on other forum. Did about 2 to 1 Caliente to Columbus. I think Caliente would make a very nice SMaSH. Even if the name isn't the greatest.

I still have a chip on my shoulder about am-a-rill-oh and the way it is pronounced. is caliente pronounced the hispanic way?

Took the first draw off of a Caliente/Columbus hopbursted IPA last night. Very nice aroma, reminiscent of Citra. Not as tropical as Citra, leans more to the stonefruit side. Lemon and lime aftertaste, blends nicely with the pine and citrus of the Columbus hops. Get a slight sulfur note in the aroma, very slight. Doesn't detract from the pleasantness of the aroma. These hops would blend nicely with some other hops, but hold up pretty well on their own. Didn't get any of the licorice notes mentioned on other forum. Did about 2 to 1 Caliente to Columbus. I think Caliente would make a very nice SMaSH. Even if the name isn't the greatest.

i got zero flavor or aroma from this hop, very weird. since it's a high AA i used it to bitter for a few batches then i threw the rest into the green bin. this is the first positive review i've read for caliente.

Get ahold of Yakima Valley and ask if anyone has done any analytical work on them....gas chromatography & mass spectroscopy. One of the West Coast Universities, maybe.

Did a dry hop with 4 oz of caliente in a 5 gallon batch of black ipa and got a mild sambucca/uzo flavor up front with a cherry finish. Not much aroma coming from it for the amount I used. I'm guessing it would be more beneficial to use for bittering.

I have used then a few times. Caliente gives almost zero aroma in my nose. I dry hopped with a few oz but nadda.
Whirl-pooling helps with flavor, but it's not very fruity. I got a slight taste of peach, but that is gone in an instant. A bit of citrus....perhaps lime. But it also gone as quick as it appears.

I have an IPA made from 40% oats that will be ready in a week. I used Jarrylo and Caliente together with Vermont Ale yeast. I am hoping the Yeast helps push some of those peach notes forward.

Time will tell.

Back