Tequiza clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extexan

Reaction score
I am putting together the ingredients for my next batch of Tequiza. The last batch I made turned out to be one of my favorites of all time.
3lbs moravian pale malt
2 lbs agave nectar
1 oz german hallertauer
wyeast 1007
I intend to kick up the malt to 5 lbs and the nectar to 3 lbs this batch as the gravity was a little on the low side.

extexan said:
I am putting together the ingredients for my next batch of Tequiza. The last batch I made turned out to be one of my favorites of all time.
3lbs moravian pale malt
2 lbs agave nectar
1 oz german hallertauer
wyeast 1007
I intend to kick up the malt to 5 lbs and the nectar to 3 lbs this batch as the gravity was a little on the low side.

I ended up using 5 lbs of pale malt (the lightest I could find) and 4 lbs of agave nectar. I am going to update this when I get home to check my recipe database. I made this beer last year, and I didn't use enough lime juice for the priming and it was a little flat tasting without the lime tartness.

Here is the entire recipe...both of the ones I have done
Tequiza
8/14/02

3 lbs Moravian dme
2 lbs agave nectar
1 oz german hallertauer pellets
Wyeast 1007, pitchable

To 3 gallons of 180° water, add extract and nectar and hops. Bring to boil for 1 hour. Cool and will pitch yeast when it is ready.
OG 1.040.
8/16/02
finally started to ferment…nice krausen
8/22/02
I racked today. Gravity at 1.022, plus or minus. It was fermenting when I racked it, and when I was done, it seemed dead. I then shook it and this morning (23rd) it has taken off again to the point where I had to put on another blowoff tube. I am starting to wonder if maybe it got infected, as for the extremely long lag time.
8/31/02
checked gravity…1.014 today, and still fermenting. I will wait a while longer before bottling. Perhaps it will drop a couple of more points.
9/7/02
gravity at 1.008..will be gone for a week, that should be enough time to bottom out.
9/14/02
bottled today to scant ¾ C corn sugar, and the juice of 3 limes, which came out to around ½ C. I did not check the gravity before adding the primers, but at the end of bottling it was 1.009….we shall see.

Make sure and use a starter as the agave can be difficult to ferment…remember?

Tequiza
5 lbs Moravian dme
2? Lbs agave nectar
hallertauer hops
german ale yeast
prime with lime juice, 2, squeezed and strained
corn sugar

Here is the '07 version
Tequiza ‘07
3 lbs light dme
1 lb wheat dme
3 lbs less 2 oz agave nectar (www.organicnectar.com)
1 oz cascade pellets
1 oz herzbrucker hallertauer whole hops
wyeast 1007 from a 1 qt starter (2C malt)
February 5, 2007
To 3 gallons of 200-degree water, I put the malts and nectar, dissolved, and returned to heat. I then added the cascade hop pellets in a hop bag. I boiled for 50 minutes then added the hallertauer in another bag to the end of the boil (60 min). I cooled the wort to 85 degrees. I had put the other two gallons of water into the freezer to get them very cold, and I poured them into a 6-½ gallon carboy. I then added the wort to the carboy. The temp of the wort was at 76 degrees (perfect!). I shook the carboy vigorously for a few minutes to aireate the wort. I then pitched the yeast, which was fermenting very nicely. The original gravity was 1.050. The amount was less than 5 gallons…probably 4.5 gallons. The following day (today) it was bubbling nicely. I originally put a blowoff tube on the carboy as sometimes the nectar can really bubble a lot, but there was only an inch or so of krausen, so I put on an airlock.

2/17/07
I racked the beer today into a 5 gal carboy. The gravity is at 1.004…excellent. Now we’ll just wait for it to clear and then bottle to ¾ C corn sugar and the juice of two limes.

2/24/2007
I bottled today. The gravity was at 1.002. I put 1 tsp corn sugar in 22 oz bottles, a ½ tsp corn sugar in 12 oz bottles. I racked the beer into a carboy with the juice of 4 limes.
It wasn’t enough lime juice as the limes were a little dry.

The beer didn't last a month, even though it didn't have much tartness.

This is remarkably similar to my very next brew, except I'll be using Wyeast 2206 (german lager yeast; half the purpose of this brew is to grow a big cake for my upcoming dopplebock), and instead of lime juice, I'll be adding lime zests (soaked in tequila for a few days) to the secondary. But that won't give any tartness. Hmm.

But wow.. right down to the idea of adding some wheat. It just seems to fit, ya know?

Why the heck would you want to clone tequiza, that stuff is so crappy they dont even sell it in gas stations around here any more.

sloppy said:
This is remarkably similar to my very next brew, except I'll be using Wyeast 2206 (german lager yeast; half the purpose of this brew is to grow a big cake for my upcoming dopplebock), and instead of lime juice, I'll be adding lime zests (soaked in tequila for a few days) to the secondary. But that won't give any tartness. Hmm.

But wow.. right down to the idea of adding some wheat. It just seems to fit, ya know?

Instead of the lime zest, you might want to see if you can find some Kaffir lime leaves instead. If you manage to grab any of the pith with your zest it can produce a real bitter flavor.

I'd rather drink tequiza than BMC...or that Miller with lime in it *shudder*

clemson55 said:
Why the heck would you want to clone tequiza, that stuff is so crappy they dont even sell it in gas stations around here any more.

I can't speak for extexan, but I'm making (a fairly close copy of) this because I just ass/u/me that it'll be better and more flavorful than actual Tequiza (TM).

Pretend that you never heard of Tequiza (TM). The goal is to make a very light lager that has some lime and (hopefully) agave flavor. We're homebrewers. We're going to kick Anheuser-Busch's ass, ok? Don't compare us to them. :) Even if A-B never introduced that product, people would be trying these two flavors together. It just makes sense.

If it'll still make sense in a couple months from now when I open my first bottle, I can't say. ;-)

andypantz13 said:
Instead of the lime zest, you might want to see if you can find some Kaffir lime leaves instead. If you manage to grab any of the pith with your zest it can produce a real bitter flavor.

The thought of kaffir lime leaves had occurred to me too (Papazian mentions that ingredient in his book) so I got a couple ounces this weekend. I'm going to use 'em, but in addition to the zests instead of as a replacement. I figure an extra source of limeness will just add more complexity to the taste.

I've used orange zest with great success in an IPA, so I'm not too worried about plinth. Also keep in mind that I don't boil 'em; they go into secondary after soaking in a distilled spirit. (Though I will be boiling half my kaffir lime leaves .. for 1 minute).

My Activator pack came in this morning, so I smacked it and I'll be making the starter tonight. Probably brewing on Wednesday (or maybe Thursday) night.

sloppy said:
The thought of kaffir lime leaves had occurred to me too (Papazian mentions that ingredient in his book) so I got a couple ounces this weekend. I'm going to use 'em, but in addition to the zests instead of as a replacement. I figure an extra source of limeness will just add more complexity to the taste.

I've used orange zest with great success in an IPA, so I'm not too worried about plinth. Also keep in mind that I don't boil 'em; they go into secondary after soaking in a distilled spirit. (Though I will be boiling half my kaffir lime leaves .. for 1 minute).

My Activator pack came in this morning, so I smacked it and I'll be making the starter tonight. Probably brewing on Wednesday (or maybe Thursday) night.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Let me know how the kaffir leaves work. I make an Ode to Tequiza beer, and was thinking of using them the next time around instead of zest. Hmm wonder if they would work for making lime cello too...

clemson55 said:
Perhaps this is because of the availability of shine.

Interesting. I'll have to try this sometime. My buddy loves Tequiza, and usually we'll split a sixer every now and again.

They still sell tequiza in the stores here. I always figured that it was Bud's "Corona fighter"... everybody's always stuffin' limes down the neck, Bud figured they'd create a product where that's already done for you. Now that Bud's got Landshark (is that stuff nationwide yet? I know when they first started distributing it, it was mostly here in FL and in Buffett's bars), I kinda wonder if that'll be the "corona fighter" and Tequiza will be phazed out....

Allan

Modified the original recipe just a bit and as far as I can remember the taste is spot on

3 lbs light dme
1 lb med dme
1 lb flaked corn
3 lbs less 2 oz agave nectar
1 oz cascade pellets (in hop sack full time boil)
1 oz herzbrucker hallertauer whole hops (last 10 mins)
wyeast 1007 from a 1 qt starter (2C malt) - german ale
3-4 limes or lime juice at bottling (1 used one of the lime shaped plastic containers of lime juice)
1 tsp irish moss for clarity -end of boil
tequila - 16 ounces of Cuervo Gold® for flavor at bottling

Came out almost identical to what I remember tequiza to taste like. No flames please, I know many don't consider tequiza to be real beer :mug:

Back